Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Sway Bar Install Kit??? Do I need one???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Sway Bar Install Kit??? Do I need one???

Here it is. Had a Moser 12 bolt installed, and want to get a new rear sway bar. Not sure which one yet. I have noticed that Spohn and BMR make install kits for mounting the sway bar up to a Moser rear. Are these kits just for mounting up a stock bar to the aftermarket rear? Basically I need to know what I need to get to mount an aftermarket rear sway bar up to a Moser 12 bolt. Thanks
Old 03-01-2006, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

Nobody knows this?
Old 03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kapedogg
Here it is. Had a Moser 12 bolt installed, and want to get a new rear sway bar. Not sure which one yet. I have noticed that Spohn and BMR make install kits for mounting the sway bar up to a Moser rear. Are these kits just for mounting up a stock bar to the aftermarket rear? Basically I need to know what I need to get to mount an aftermarket rear sway bar up to a Moser 12 bolt. Thanks
When you are looking for sway bars I would recommend one with solid/adjustable end links like the Spohn drag launch bar. The Spohn & BMR install kits are to drop the sway bar down a bit so it doesn't rub against the Moser aluminum cover if you have that option. You can also use 3" HD muffler clamps to mount the sway bar but you usually have to pull the bar back a bit an tighten it. If you go with a drag sway control bar I would recommend the Spohn or BMR kits. Any other questions please email me at jason@jandjspeedshop.com
Old 03-01-2006, 11:53 AM
12 Second Club

So, regardless of which bar I end up getting, I will need the install kit because I do have the aluminum cover?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

Come on, all you guys with 12 bolts out there, have to know the answer to this one!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

With the Spohn kit you can select 19, 21, 23, or 24mm kits. If you wanted to stay stock, just get the 19mm kit. My dilemma was that I wanted to install a Strano 22mm rear bar, but that size isn't offered, so I ended up getting the 19mm kit, and staying stock. The 23mm would probably work fine for a 22mm sway bar, but no one could confirm this for me.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure if I answered your question, but you don't absolutely need one of these kits, you could use 3" muffler clamps, but you would have to play around with it to get the SB to clear the cover. The kit makes the SB install a straight bolt-in operation.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:52 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys, now I've got it. I think I need to go a bit bigger than the stock rear sway though. I'd hate to buy the install kit throw a stock bar on, then want/need to go bigger and need another kit. Maybe, the exhaust clamps with a stock bar will work for now. Thanks again guys.

Has anyone determined what is needed to mount the 22mm Strano bar, because I think I may be leaning in that direction.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

A while back I tried to find out if I could use the Spohn kit and just use the bushings that come with the 22mm Strano SB. No one seemed to know but I think it would work, so even if you got the 19mm kit, you could still put the bigger SB in if you wanted to by using the bushings supplied by Strano. Problem is I'm not 100% sure, just 99% sure.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would order one of the kits in your situation.

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Install Kit??? Do I need one???