Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

FLP LT's and Spohn TA Combo Prob

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FLP LT's and Spohn TA Combo Prob

My car has had an extremely obnoxious banging under braking ever since my car has gotten the FLP LT's on with the Y-pipe, along with my Spohn TA. Under load or braking, my Y-pipe and/or Torque Arm seem to be colliding enough to make very loud noises in the cabin and makes it very annoying to drive the car.

My Spohn Torque Arm (w/ loop) is provisioned for long-tube headers, however, that doesn't seem to help anything. Things tap together right where the loop is, so I figured we try some rubber hose and my buddy Camaro_Zach happened to have some so we put it in the two points where it was obvious that the hitting was occuring (under the loop and the pole that connects the loop). After doing that, we noticed it took a little bit of the harshness of the slamming and hitting noises, but it was still prevelant. Nothing else is loose on the car, as everything has been shaken to validate that it's what we suspected. The Y is really just resting on the TA, or it has like 2 or so cm till it's resting on it.

Anyone ever have this problem? Solutions?

Last edited by epic; 03-13-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

new motor mounts will totally fix the problems, some people do other things, like muffler hangers, wraps, hammer the floorboard ect... motor mounts don't cost much and are easy to put in.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you read the post? its already touching the torque arm in 2 places. How will motor mounts fix this? the O N L Y time he hears any kind of clunking is when he brakes. not under acel or rev etc. Just when like the final second or so of braking. Motor doesnt toruqe under brake load.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:13 PM
CRI
Teching In

I had the same thing with my Sphon TA with loop and FLP y-pipe. I got under the car with a friend and we loosened the clamp around the y-pipe and the cats/orp. Then we played with the positioning until we felt there was the proper clearances all around and tightened everything down. It took about 2 or 3 tries but once I got it just right I haven't had any problems.
Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: FLP LT's and Spohn TA Combo Prob