Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Doing only rear suspension?

Old 03-13-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing only rear suspension?

I spent some time yesterday and did the "heater hose" mod on the rear springs. It only lowered the car about 1/2", not what I really wanted. The car seems to pop and jingle around a bit more now, also. It looks a tiny bit better, but isn't really what I was looking for. I'm now deciding to take the plunge and go with all new shocks and springs after seeing that it isn't too hard to do(in the rear).

I've read of a lot of people keeping the stock springs, a lot of people going with V6 springs, and not too many going with aftermarket rear springs. I don't really want to keep my stock springs, heater hose mod or not. I didn't like the look before, or after. I think the stance in the front is fine, but in the back I want it to be lower.

I don't have the funds to go with front shocks/springs as well right now(plus the price to get them installed), but I'd like to get the rear springs/shocks squared away and done. I think I'm going to get the HAL QA1 F-series 12-way adjustable rear shocks from Speed Inc. I'm not sure what to do about the springs though. Some have suggested HAL 150lb or 170lb springs, which are on Summit(and Spohn, but not Speed Inc ) for around $30 a piece, which isn't much. I'd rather spend $60-70 on new springs than keep the stock or go with V6 ones.

My post boils down to two questions now:

1) Are these HAL springs the correct springs I should get? I didn't really see any other companies with rear springs - most, like Eibach just offer four springs all around, which I don't want yet.

2) Will it be okay to drive around for roughly 3-5 weeks with HAL shocks/springs in the rear, and stock shocks/springs in the front? I don't imagine it will look very awkward, but I have no idea how much the rear will be lowered with the new combo.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Hmmm... V6 spring rates, Hal shocks... Sounds like you want a lot of weight transfer and quickly. Lowering the car's cg is not good for traction, you're better off living with the car's stock ride height to take advantage of those spring's and dampers.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by May Spin
Hmmm... V6 spring rates, Hal shocks... Sounds like you want a lot of weight transfer and quickly. Lowering the car's cg is not good for traction, you're better off living with the car's stock ride height to take advantage of those spring's and dampers.
I'm not looking for V6 spring rates - should I be?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not sure your planned upgrade is the best option. (I'm not sure it's a bad option either...just want you to keep looking).
It won't be the greatest option in terms of optimal handling, but upgrading just the rear first won't cause any great problems. Just make sure that you plan out a good combo at all 4 wheels and then when the funds allow, get the front done too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doing only rear suspension?