Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Carbon Fiber Driveshafts ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber Driveshafts ... ?

First off, how much do they go for?

Secondly, if i get one, do i need a DS safety loop?

Thirdly, are they condusive to drag racing? (can they withstand the launches)?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

it will be like 800, i dont think worth the money but if u have that much money to waste... do it... as far as i know no loop necessary, i knew a guy didnt use it and took car to drag all the time.... im sur eit can withstand launches
Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have one installed, however I can't really claim that it's really made a significant difference in the times I made last year. I did buy the thing, because of safety reasons, but won't claim that it significantly reduces DS vibrations because I increased the HP afterwards, so I would have to revert to the stock DS to know what the CF DS really improved.

I will say that after much inspection, there is NO damage at the ends, also I have done some stupid 4500 rpm burnouts just to kill off some old all-weather tyres and there is so far no damage to the DS, the u-joints, or the 10-bolt diff. but I wouldn't suggest nor endorse anyone else to do the same.

My suggestion would be that if you must opt for one, consider it's weaving, because that will be a significant determinant in the overall DS strentgh. I use the ACPT one, will say that when I recieved it, it was light to the hands compared to an already light, but sometimes inadequate stock 1999 Z28 DS.

AFA DS loop, I would consider one anyways with Drag Racing, then remove it at your own discretion if you shall deem it no longer necessary.
Old 03-21-2006, 01:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Foxxton
I have one installed, however I can't really claim that it's really made a significant difference in the times I made last year. I did buy the thing, because of safety reasons, but won't claim that it significantly reduces DS vibrations because I increased the HP afterwards, so I would have to revert to the stock DS to know what the CF DS really improved.

I will say that after much inspection, there is NO damage at the ends, also I have done some stupid 4500 rpm burnouts just to kill off some old all-weather tyres and there is so far no damage to the DS, the u-joints, or the 10-bolt diff. but I wouldn't suggest nor endorse anyone else to do the same.

My suggestion would be that if you must opt for one, consider it's weaving, because that will be a significant determinant in the overall DS strentgh. I use the ACPT one, will say that when I recieved it, it was light to the hands compared to an already light, but sometimes inadequate stock 1999 Z28 DS.

AFA DS loop, I would consider one anyways with Drag Racing, then remove it at your own discretion if you shall deem it no longer necessary.

What safety reasons exactly?

How much did it run you if you don't mind my asking ?
Old 03-21-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

AFA safety is concerned with the DS, I don't believe that it will result in catastrophic catapulting or floorpan cutting when it "brooms", but I only suggested a DS loop just to be safe at first. I think that ACPT knows the real safety behind their product, but I never skimp on that kind of safety.

I've so far ran it for 1.5 years in AX and RR (open tracking), however I have on occasion run the DS just to see what strength it would have. Can't recall the 1/4 mile times, but then again niether of my vehicles' suspension and tyres are set up for optimal drag racing.

I'd give these guys a call and see what's their complete claim over the phone:
http://www.acpt.com/driveshaft/index.html

Unlike the many other mods around, they at least give some figures to observe.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:07 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got one and noticed a big difference in terms of the vibration esp way up in the triple digits. It's non existant. I have a DS loop but had that before the DS. Won't matter if you have one or not as if it shatters you won't be doing the catapult that's for sure. ACPT is the one I have and I got used for 400 bucks. Best DS I've purchased and I've had them all except for Denny's Nitro shaft.

Oh and it's extremely light too. Too light and I thought it would compromise strength but it hasn't and I've launched at 5K mucho times on it.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A high quality DOM,4130 or alum driveshaft will be just as smooth at RPM than a carbon..Carbon driveshafts can not withstand a impact like a metal shaft by that I mean if you somehow get a dent in them drop it while removing it from the car or hit something on the road you run a risk of causing a flaw in the shaft.We run Dynotech drive shafts in our trucks at sometimes over 9200 RPM driveshaft speed and their smooth as glass.There are many other factors that can cause vibration but thats another story..Save your money invest it else where untill you need it for true performance reasons...these things are like gun drilled axles sure there cool but do you really need them? prob not...
Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Regular

No i'm not concerned with it for vibrations sake, I have a TSP catted-y and an aluminium DS right now with a DS safety loop. The y-pipe is in contact with the loop and constantly bangs against it causing the most incredibly annoying sounds in the world.

But I have cam/LTs among other things, so i want the safety of the loop, but don't want the banging. I can't shim the loop anymore b/c it will come in contact w/the DS.

So a buddy recommended an CF DS b/c i might not need a DS loop in that case ...