Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

A problem with…

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A problem with…

Last night I discovered a problem with my right, or passenger side, front caliper bracket. One of the two floating pins that helps hold the caliper on to the bracket is stuck or frozen in place. To give you a better idea without the aid of a picture, I am talking about the pin on which the bolt screws into, not the actual bolt that fastens the caliper to the bracket and or floating pin. This caliper pin/bolt should float in an out, but it is stuck solid.

Can anyone tell me what could have caused this and if I have to replace the whole bracket or should I just try to drill it out. Personally, I am lean towards replacing it, but I would appreciate the input of those who might know what’s going on.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bluey2kz28
Can anyone tell me what could have caused this ...
This was caused by a lack of preventive maintenance, namely the pin seized because of a lack of lubrication.

Every now and then it pays to remove the tires and inspect the brakes and other mechanical parts and suspension for wear and tear. You also need to take the pins out and grease them every now and then.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Weezzer
This was caused by a lack of preventive maintenance, namely the pin seized because of a lack of lubrication.

Every now and then it pays to remove the tires and inspect the brakes and other mechanical parts and suspension for wear and tear. You also need to take the pins out and grease them every now and then.

Thanks Weezzer. Do you think I have to replace that bracket now?

I probably had a brain fart the last time I did my breaks and forgot to grease that one pin. I could have sworn that I did grease all the pins when I did my breaks last time, but something had to have happend to cause such a failure. Could something else have caused this to happen?

Besides what was stated by Weezzer above, can anyone provide another explaination?

Last edited by bluey2kz28; 03-31-2006 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't have to replace the bracket, just get the pin out and clean everything up and put a new pin in. I had one that was so frozen I had to take it to a machine shop and they heated it up cherry red to get the stuck pin out. They smoothed out the sleeve and I just put a new pin in and greased the hell out of it. Been fine for 3 years. Check the boots that surround those pins, chances are one is cracked/torn and has let moisture in. Put new ones on if they need it.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Check the boots that surround those pins, chances are one is cracked/torn and has let moisture in. Put new ones on if they need it.
I found a small tear in that one seal/boot. I checked all the other seals/boots and they are fine.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Here is the latest on this situation.

It was strongly suggested that I replace the bracket because it was slightly damaged due to rust and the whole process of pulling the pin out. So I set out to buy the bracket and none of the big local parts stores had it and the stealership had the bracket only, no floating pins, for $85.

One of the parts stores suggested Checker Auto, but they sell the caliper, pads, bracket and floating pins for $116 plus the core charge and tax which comes out to $161 plus change before I return the core.

Quick Reply: A problem with…