Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help finding shocks/springs that can balance handling/strip

Old 04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help finding shocks/springs that can balance handling/strip

Ok my 99 camaro will mainly be riding around on the street with the occasional strip trip. I am looking for a shock/spring combo that will give me the ability to adjust ride height as well as give me a little adjustability for rebound at the strip. I was thinking Koni SAs with GC setup.

what do you guys suggest. My car is a 383 turbo car w/ M6 if that matters.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get QA1 for a drag car. If you want to handle get the Koni and GC. The rate on the koni shocks are to high to do well at the track.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Understand that everthing you need a car to do to launch is 180 degrees apart from what you want a car to do so that it's controlled.

QA1 for drag and Koni for handling is too simplistic. Because it does not address the way the car is used. Seems to me that it's a street car and handling and control are, I would hope, more critical than drag racing. After all you spend a lot more time on the road than the strip, and it's a lot more dangerous in the real world (avoidance moves, impacts with bumps and dips, etc).

Koni's on full soft are not so soft they are like worn out 20 year old stockers. QA1's are. However, they are valved to be just firm enough to adequately damp stock springs. That's too soft for me and my tastes, but can in no way be considered a weight transfer nightmare.

Unless you are running on the strip so seriously that you consider it the primary job of the car, the Koni's will work great there, and about 400 times better on the road.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-11-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hve QA1's on my car and it see's more street than strip. I think you would be better off with the QA1's, you can adjust your rife height where ever you want as well as increase or decrease pressure in the actual shocks.
They work great for me and are awesome on either the strip or the track.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea its a street car that will see the track only a few times a year so koni SAs and GC would be a good setup for ride height adjustability?
Old 04-11-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

If you arent going to compete seriously at the drag strip, go with konis over QA1's
Old 04-11-2006, 08:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 127 Likes on 82 Posts

Spoke with a man today who keeps spare QA1's in his trailer because he breaks so many. Not exactly what I'd want on my car......

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Search this Thread