Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Discount Tire WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Discount Tire WTF!

Ok I've had my wheels and tires now for about 1 year. When I first got them put on after I got home I checked the torque on the lugs all was good except the locking lug it was snug maybe 25ft lbs. So i figure ok they forgot it happens. Well a few weeks ago I go to get them rotated and balanced and After a few days I start to notice my steering wheel vibrating more than usual at 55-70mph. My first tought is the lugs again, but I am lazy and never checked them plus I only drive like 2 miles a day to work and back so I rarley do 55mph+. So today I go and check the lugs and of course the locking lug is only snug on all 4 wheels again WTF? Now if the lugs hold the rotor on and if the lugs are not torqued correctly it can cause them to warp so why the hell do they do this, do they not know this? Anyone else have this problem?
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that they are probably afraid to use their impact on the locking lugs. its generally bad practice, but that doesnt mean that they should be throwing a torque wrench on them. go back and raise some total hell. that way, the next time you go back they will know you. the service advisor will tell that tech that you are a total hardass, and your stuff has to be right. its usually the best way to do things.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be sure next time to let them know. The first time i just let it go since they do have awesome cusomer service, but this could cost me big money if I have to repace my rotors cause they did't take the 5 seconds to torque the lug. And what really gets me is there's a guy that has LT1 camaro and another that has LS1 trans am that work there. You would think they would know there stuff.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Well to start off I am a tire technician for the Company you just mentioned. First off do not worry about your rotors as this should not warp them at all!, think of how many cars with broken studs or missing lug nuts you have ever seen. depending on the locks you have the problem could be....The technician working on your vehicle is worried that if torqued the lock/key will strip out,the technician was a little lazy which is not acceptable but does happen and ran it on best he could with a common socket, or somehow by coincidence a new guy F*up his troque pattern. So what I recomend is check out your lock design see if its strippable and ask discount tire to put better ones on if your not happy with those(hopoefully for free). Or second off the guy that writes you up at the counter tell him the problem youve had and tell him your not happy,then go outside and watch your car get worked on like a hawk and if you see something there doing that you dont like ask the tech what he's doing. Also just incase by some odd chance make sure the locks they sold you are the proper seat for the torque thrust II's you own. Hope i helped
Old 04-17-2006, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

i had the same problem except without the shimmy. i watched them and they impacted the 4 normal lugs in a retarded star entil they were tight, them ran down the keyed lugnut after they were done with fully tighning the others.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Raising hell is usually just a waste of time. Anything they **** up, you might was well save your breath and just fix it and not go back. I have been those routes and you're better off just chilling out or you'll die from a heart attack.

Next time, just put on your stock rims, toss the TT's in the hatch, get the tires mounted and then put them on yourself. This will save you scratches too.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kenkaru
Raising hell is usually just a waste of time. Anything they **** up, you might was well save your breath and just fix it and not go back. I have been those routes and you're better off just chilling out or you'll die from a heart attack.

Next time, just put on your stock rims, toss the TT's in the hatch, get the tires mounted and then put them on yourself. This will save you scratches too.
thats what i do. the dual exhaust wont go up on there little raising platforms. so i take my wheel to them.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmfcamaro
thats what i do. the dual exhaust wont go up on there little raising platforms. so i take my wheel to them.
And I thought I was the only guy that did this
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Here goes my two cents.
In my experience I have never known any tire place to torque the lock lug down at all so I have never torqued it down either. As a result I have never had a vibration problem.

Last edited by bluey2kz28; 04-18-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

1 lug per wheel isn't going to cause shake if the other 4 lugs per wheel are tight.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I have no problem torqueing down the locks myself. And its not like they just forgot cause its happened twice on all 4 wheels. The first time there was no vibration but the wheel was rubing on the front caliper brackets. Thats how I noticed the first time when i took the wheel off and the lock lugs were just snugg. Now if you guys use an impact's to tighten the lugs yes it probably will get striped but with a torque wrench with the key seated correctly there is no threat of striping it. If take the wheel off at least a dozen times with no problems. Although I believe that the fear of striping them is probably why the are not torquing them. They are made to be torqued thats they whole point. Well I have lifetime balance and rotation which is why i went back and had them do it. I figure what the hell I already payed for it might as well have it done.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

around hear if you got aluminum rims tire places have you sign a form to bring the car back @25 miles after leaving for a retorque. they gun them off but never have i witnessed my tire shop gun them on? id freak!!@!!
Old 04-17-2006, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

1st off dont worry about your cars being lifted, thats what we have jacks for and we are supposed to look under a car before we lift it anyways(for obstruction). 2nd if Discount did mess anything up dont raise hell but go to the manager and have him look at it, if we did mess it up well pay for it. You guys are all like me paranoid as hell to have anyone touch our cars, but after working at discount for as long as i have I have alot faith in the way the company goes about their work. If your ever worried about work being done to your car just watch over their shoulder theyll make sure they dont mess it up.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not true, not torquing the wheel lugs will warp a rotor, no matter what. But if you see a measureable warp or a marginal one is both temperature and time dependant (aka creep)
Old 04-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Staging Lane

Bing bing bing! That second line is exactly what I have been forced to do; except I use a truck. Oh and you should always check torque's yourself; I would never trust someone else. Oh and I always tell them at discount that I have recent pics of my rims and if anything is scratched their buying new ones. Oh course last time I went they scratched them, but only on the inside so I really don't care. Lucky them.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

I torque down all my lug nuts on my TTII's, even the key one.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2! The less they havee to touch your car the better.

Quick Reply: Discount Tire WTF!