Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Friggen Wheel Hop!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Friggen Wheel Hop!

I'm gonna do a search but in the meantime, does anyone have any sure-fire cures for this anoying problem?

It was no big deal at first but now I have an aftermarket catback and not much clearance, and now when it hops, the over-the-axle pipe bangs like a **** against the PHB.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

.....I found some answers.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=wheel+hop

I'll try a polyeurathane transmission mount. And maybe poly torque-arm mounts.

This wheel hop crap reminds me of back in the day with my brother's 72 Goat. Man did that thing hop!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car used to have HORID whell hop. BMR boxed LCA's cured 99% of it, best mod I hvae done to date, hooks and corners better too!!!
Old 04-30-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the advice. It may indeed come to that but first I'd like to try the poly mounts.

I hope the poly mounts don't create any other problems, like increased vibrations in the cockpit.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ShevrolayZ28
Thanks for the advice. It may indeed come to that but first I'd like to try the poly mounts.

I hope the poly mounts don't create any other problems, like increased vibrations in the cockpit.
Oh that's okay, these cars came with vibrations and shakes from the factory
Old 05-01-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Check to make sure your shocks are ok. The only time I have ever had real (consistent) wheel hop issues on one of these cars is when I had a bad shock.

Don't get me wrong. Certain tires combined with a really sticky surface like concrete can make hop happen. But if it is happening all of the time then something is wrong. Find what is wrong before going about replacing good parts.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by todddchi
Check to make sure your shocks are ok. The only time I have ever had real (consistent) wheel hop issues on one of these cars is when I had a bad shock.

Don't get me wrong. Certain tires combined with a really sticky surface like concrete can make hop happen. But if it is happening all of the time then something is wrong. Find what is wrong before going about replacing good parts.
I'm all for that. The car is a stock suspension 2002 with 30k mi. It has orange shocks, Koni's I think, but this spring/shock combo is really soft IMO.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

If theyre orange, theyre probably DeCarbon shocks (stock) Shocks are Poo-Poo. Thats where I would start.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

i had a poly tranny mount for about 3 days the i put my old one back in lol
i made the car vibe like **** and it felt like it slowed down the car because of the vibration.like the guys said try shocks first i helped on my car a lot and at the same time i put a set of lca brackets and those helped a lot.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

I had bad wheel hop after i lowered the car.. got some BMR bolt in relocation brackets, tubular hotchkis trailing arms.. car is now 100% better.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shaun
i had a poly tranny mount for about 3 days the i put my old one back in lol
i made the car vibe like **** and it felt like it slowed down the car because of the vibration.like the guys said try shocks first i helped on my car a lot and at the same time i put a set of lca brackets and those helped a lot.
Thanks to everyone for the assistance!

And thanks for chiming in on the poly mount, Shaun. I would rather not have more vibration in the car, so I'll skip the poly tranny mount for now.

But I've decided to get a set of Koni SA's for the car and keep the stock springs. I figure it might cure the wheel hop, if not reduce it, and it will definitely improve handling.

When I first got the car I ran a WRX. He was on my bumper through the twisties and my car was on the ragged edge. (I did own his *** on the straight-aways lol.) With stock tires and suspension the Camaro swayed like a ****! Thank God the tires didn't break loose while going 80 around a corner.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I'd check the shocks first unless you are dead set on upgrading.

The rears come off very easily - you'll only have to undo the bottom bolt to check if it is bad - and you will be able to tell the difference between a good and a bad one very easily.

If you got a truly bad one it the piston will just slide up or down really easily and stay in place. A good one will have alot of resistance to move and slowly extend out to full length.

Any evidence of leaking is a dead giveaway, as well.

Quick Reply: Friggen Wheel Hop!