Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How much space between tire and fender

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 12:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question How much space between tire and fender? lowering question

How much space should you have between the top of you tire and the bottom of the fender lip? Lowering effects this correct?
I was thinking about dropping it a little if I can. What do I need do to consider this? I have 18x35x275's up front and want to lower the front a little as well as the back. I seem to sit pretty high although I have 18x30x315's on the back. The lowest point on the car are the sfc's wich are about 5 inches off the ground. Need help deciding what to do. I have a 2 5/8 inch gap in front and 2 1/2 in back. I have Konis sa's on there now and the SLP pro-rate springs that came with the "ss" package.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 05-30-2006 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-30-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. Seems to me you already have quite a bit of drop. Yes the wheel well clearances do need to be considered, but even if you have enough clearance, it's extremely important as well not to go too low as you will then only have bumpstop for dampers and not able to use the proper range of the damper. With all of this said, having only the bumpstop for a damper is like having a full double quarter pounder meal supersized while being under special instruction to only take one sip of your drink, eat one fry, and take only one bite of the sandwich.

Also not to forget, go much lower and you'll develop some serious Cg and suspension geometry problems, which will make your handling very dogged.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
Hmmm. Seems to me you already have quite a bit of drop.
Really? I've never lowered it. So I shouldnt lower it is what your saying?
Old 05-30-2006, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could possibly go lower, however when going by the wheel well alone, you can easily be on the bumpstop without even touching the inner fender or even having the wheel within one inch of the wheel well. This is why I never go by the wheel well gaps alone.

I'd say, go back and measure your overall height from the ground over each top most arch of the outer wheel well. I know that I'm supposed to know this offhand, however I can say that your overall ground to wheelwell heights shouldn't be less then around 26.5" for all around when used with standard height shocks (including Koni SA's, unless they've been shortened).

Quick Reply: How much space between tire and fender