Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

2000 Yukon Denali Body Roll

Old 06-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Yukon Denali Body Roll

Hi, Folks. It has been a year since I posted my initial "hello" up in the greeting section (https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335281). As I mentioned there, I am a middle aged guy and a complete rookie when it comes to automotive stuff, and certainly so in the company of the folks on this board. And so, I'm turning to you with another extremely simple and basic issue.

I have recently picked up a 2000 GMC Yukon Denali. It's in great shape and has only about 80,000 miles on it. I traded a Chevy 1500 HD pickup for it, and so you can imagine how much more body roll I'm now trying to deal with. And so, my questions:

Is there a first step or combination of steps that will help me reduce the horrible body roll of the Denali? Stiffer shocks alone, with a sway bar, front sway bar only, or rear too, or what?

If, as I am guessing, shocks, swaybar kits, or other suspension mods are the way to go, have any of you had experience with any of the numerous aftermarket products out there, and if so, which would you recommend?

Thanks so much for your assistance. And, as I mentioned, I know squat compared to you guys about vehicular issues such as these, but I do know a ton about producing top-quality whitetail deer, so if I can assist you with reciprocal information about that topic, please don't hesitate to send me a private message, and I'll shoot you my email address.

Kindest regards,
Jon
Old 06-06-2006, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Pick up a Truckin mag and start looking through it. LOTS of stuff out there. What you need depends on what you are looking to do with it. Lowering it with bigger sway bars and better shocks will help the roll. Getting low profile tires on larger rims will help as well since you don't have the big balloon sidewalls rolling over around every corner.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Hi, GetGone. Thanks so much for the reply. Here's a little more info. I use the GMC as a daily driver, but also for light off-road work (I'm in the hunting industry), so I can't go lower. All I'm really looking to do is just firm up the suspension and reduce roll. So, from your post, I'm taking that firmer shocks and sway bars are the way to go. My guess - and this is a pure guess - is that I could likely go with a generic, heavy-duty truck shock and gain a good bit of improvement, and that a better sway bar set up would complete the effort. Do you have any recommendations on brands of shocks and swaybars that you've had good results with?

Thank you again for your reply.

Best,
Jon

P.S. - Oh, and without using the truck for heavy offroading, I wouldn't think I'd need to concern myself with spring upgrades. Agree?
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

I don't know what all is out there for the big trucks. I've been in to the S series trucks forever. Belltech is always good stuff. Hotchkis makes stuff for trucks too. I'm into street performance so not sure what's good offroad stuff since there's so much out there. You could always do a lift kit...but that won't help you with the roll problem!
Old 06-06-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

10-4, Getone. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Best,
Jon
Old 06-06-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

BigJon,
To combat body roll the place to start is usually with larger/stiffer swaybars. Not sure what, if anything, is available for your application along those lines, though. Drawback to stiffer bars would be a loss in articulation when offroad, but your on-road ride shouldn't be affected much, especially if you minimize the use of poly bushings. If you can't afford to lose any offroad capability then springs/shocks would be the next best thing. Unfortunately there is always some compromise that must be made when trying to get good off-road AND good on-road handling characteristics.

EDIT: quick google search revealed the following, which you may find interesting:

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tec...s_swaybar.html

Additionally, looks like Eibach (available through TireRack) and Hellwig (available through Summit) appear to have larger swaybars for your 2000 Denali as well.

Last edited by Fulton 1; 06-06-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Just start with the shocks, really. You can add other stuff as you see fit. But GM shocks suck, let alone with 80k miles on them, and shocks directly control the rate of body roll. Not the amount, but the speed at which it happens. Control that and the huge amount of roll suddenly isn't anymore. Have folks call me and tell me all the time how their new shocks fixed the roll. They didn't cut the amount of the roll ultimately, but they do make the vehicle a lot, LOT less floppy.

I have all kinds of shocks (Bilstein, Koni, Edelbrock, KYB, Rancho, Monroe, ProComp, and a few more). I wouldn't use them all, but I have them all.... . I have all kind of bars too (belltech, hotchkis, addco, hellwig, etc) if you still find you want the. Start with shocks. Same advice I'd give for a car goes for the truck.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Fulton and Sam - Superb, easily followable info, guys. I think I have a game plan in order now. I had noticed the Hotchkis sway bar in an internet source yesterday, but I hadn't seen the tech page you pointed me to, Fulton. Thanks for that. Any suggestion on types, brands and models (ratings) of shocks I should consider?

And remember, yes, I'm using the truck for on-road and off-road. BUT, neither to the extreme. Just want to get rid of the flippin' roll (and, if I can do it simultaneously, firm the ride up a bit.)

Best,
Jon
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Teching In

Oh! And here's one more bit of information that might or might not be relevant. The Denali seems VERY touchy on steering, meaning that just a little turn at highway speeds results in a rapid change of direction. Perhaps it's just that I'm used to the much longer 1500HD, but I don't think so. The truck feels as though if I turned it too quickly at highway speed it would flip the truck over its headlight. See any unforseen issues there?

Reallly, your input is greatly appreciated. I am a real, real rookie about this sorta stuff.

Best,
Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by BigJon
Fulton and Sam - Superb, easily followable info, guys. I think I have a game plan in order now. I had noticed the Hotchkis sway bar in an internet source yesterday, but I hadn't seen the tech page you pointed me to, Fulton. Thanks for that. Any suggestion on types, brands and models (ratings) of shocks I should consider?

And remember, yes, I'm using the truck for on-road and off-road. BUT, neither to the extreme. Just want to get rid of the flippin' roll (and, if I can do it simultaneously, firm the ride up a bit.)

Best,
Jon

Sources.... I'll have to say me, as I carry about any brand you could want. I'm a sponsor here, and suspensions are what I like to do, and I'd sooner not sell you something if it won't work right (you can ask around about that). Plus you can always find me in the handling section (just look around) when I'm not away racing.

Can't go wrong with Bilstein's. They'll run around $60-65 per shock for that truck. They'd be my first recommendation. As for bars. Let's just see if you really need or want them after the shocks, then we can make a better decision.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Well, Sam, you went to the trouble to repsond, so why don't I buy a set of shocks from you. I'll send you a private message with my contact information, and we'll get her goin'.

Best,
Jon
Old 06-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Launching!

As suggested, go with the shocks first and if necessary then something else (bars or ??)

Always try one thing at a time. It it very tempting to do two or three to save time but you'll never know what the problem is if it doesn't work.

Sam is very knowledgable and will be the best one to obtain the shocks from.

Steve
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Roger that, steve-d. I called "Strano's House o' Shocks" Friday morning and will be going with the shocks first and swaybars only if still necessary after that. Thanks for your reply. Am a little concerned though - they seem to be in Pennsylvania, and I have doubts as to whether or not they'll take Confederate money.

Best,
Jon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Yukon Denali Body Roll