Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with brakes for tire and wheel size.

So as i've said in my other recent posts, i am suping my car up. So i am gong to need some good brakes. But I have a few questions. I am new to the brake and tire thing as far as upgrades for what i am planning to do. I mean its going to be a street car that goes to inspection every 2 years. So i want it street friendly and legal. Currently, I have 18X8.5 in chrome wheels all the way around and BF G force Drag Radials in the rear and kdws in the front. Now when i fix my car up with lots of hp to be driving in the street, at which point do i need to slicks or drag radials or what ever tire i need to use? Also, With my current setup, i am assuming i should invest is 15 in light weight wheels for better performance right? I mean, having 600+ hp while driving on the street, i am guessing its not safe to use the drag radials and kdws that i currently have for that right?

Also, if i am going to upgrade my brakes, What size rotors or calipers do i need, if i currently run an 18 in rim and tire but may go back to a size 15 in rim and tire? I mean is there a size that will give me good braking performance that would work on both an 18 in wheel and a 15 in wheel?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

A brake upgrade will not fit under a set of drag wheels. Stock brakes wont fint under drag wheels. I highly doubt you will drive a 600hp car on the street daily. Somewhere betwene driveability and gas you will end up buying a second mode of transportation.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

Thats right, i won't be driving that much power on the street. I should have mentioned that before i posted. I thought it was a given, but i guess some people do that. Anways, should i just go with the typical rotors and break setups i have been seeing on most websites? I guess my general question was if i got break upgrades ofr my current 18 in wheels and tires, would they fit on my stock 16 in wheels and tires or would there be clearance issues?
Old 06-13-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Most bigger brakes require 17 wheels on the front and all 17 wheels won't fit wtih that setup..but most will.