Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ball joint starting to go out, how long do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ball joint starting to go out, how long do I have?

I'm starting to get that creaking and popping coming from my front left suspension, and my only guess is the ball joints. I have a road race event coming up in less then 2 weeks that I have to pay for it within the next couple of days, or I'm out. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

I won't be able to change it before the event, not enough time.

I'd rather buy a set of UMI uppper and lower control arms and replace everything instead of do just a ball joint replacement, because I'm going to get them sooner or later. However, it's going to be a few months before I can get them.

It's not that bad, the noise only comes during extreme turn situations like 3 point turns, or hard right turns on a downhill, thus putting a lot of stress on it.

What happens if I race in the condition I'm in now? I can deal with not handling as well, since it's only for fun, but if it could be dangerous or lead to breaking something else I won't run.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Um, if that thing breaks when your in the middle of a hard turn, that's going to cause some serious damage. I vote you replace the ball joint now. While I can sympathize with wanting to race, it just sounds too dangerous.

-Mike
Old 06-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Launching!

That's what I was afraid of. If it was just going to come down to the ball joint becoming more noisy, i wouldn't trip on it. I wasn't sure what a failure would lead too.

I've read several write ups on it, and it seems like something I could do. To anyone who has done it, about how many hours does it take? I guess I could just remove the lower control arm and drop it off at a machine shop overnight for them to remove and install the ball joint. Of course, then I'm going to need an alignment I hate all this prep work.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where do you live?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Where do you live?
bay area CA
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
Launching!

Good news, on a hunch I decided to take off my sway and put some more anti seize on the main bushings. I had a lot of noise up there when going over speed bumps but I wasn't sure if that had anything to do with the popping I was getting.

Anyway, cleaned em up, got all the crud out of there and re-lubed them, then took it for a spin. The noise is gone. i guess it was binding up and the noise was the sway bar popping in the bushing.

Quick Reply: Ball joint starting to go out, how long do I have?