Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to raise Pro-Kit rear

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to raise Pro-Kit rear

I have Bilstein HDs and Pro-Kit all around, and i like the ride and love the look, but the rear end is just becoming a hassle. Its a hassle for several reasons, I have true duals now, so I scrape ridiculously easy, I can't fit slicks, my rear end geometry is off, and wheelhop is getting to me. When I originally lowered the car, I had no idea lowering the car was not kosher with drag racing, which is what I'm about. I've been trying to just cope with it for a couple years now, but with the TDs now, its just too much. I still have the stock springs and was thinking about installing the stock rears and doing the hose mod, but I don't really want to roll with a stiff front and a cushy rear. But if thats what I must do, thats whatll happen.
What I'm looking for is some insight from all you suspension gurus. I'd like to keep the front end dropped if possible, but dont want the rear to be in the air, just about an inch or half inch raise. Every little bit helps. I've alrady blown one rearend and am not trying to have that happen again. Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely not a suspension guru, but I believe that relocation brackets will help combat wheel hop on a car that is lowered. I have NO wheel hop whatsoever. Also, get an adjustable panhard bar, that can help put your rear end geometry back where it should be. Um...geez...that's all I've got for now. Hope that helps.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, I have Spohn relo brackets. They do help with the wheelhop, but I'm still a little on the edge about the wellfare of my rearend. I already snapped the stock pinion gear, thankfully I had 3.73s pending install. I don't want that or anything worse to happen again, plus the car is a bitch to drive with TDs..
Old 06-14-2006, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have an aftermarket torque arm? From what I've read on the forums here those greatly help to cure wheelhop problems as well.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Most after market torque arm's will eliminate all wheel hop...good investment
Old 06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm looking to buy a UMI adjustable trans-mounted T/A, its just a matter of having the money. I'm just trying to cure what I can until then.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a pair of ground control spring adjusters that I'll be selling in the near future (after de-install of current springs). Hopefully within a week, depending on weather. Or check out their web site for new ones.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Eibach rear springs have a bad reputation for being too low and soft in the back. By far the easiest thing to do is add some simple spacers.

http://gmocart2.gmotion.com/store/me...ing_suspension
They run about $5 for a set of 4, can be found at your local auto parts store and are very easy to install or remove. Just lift the rear of the car to unload the spring and put one in the middle area of each spring making sure it isn't going to touch the body. Then lower the car. The weight will keep it in place. One metal spacer will lift it about 1/4" and increase the spring rate just a little. Both are good things. If you need to go higher, install another spacer on the same coil but 180* apart from one another.

If you ever decide you don't like it, just take them out and you will be 5 bucks poorer, so no big deal.

I've been using them for about 2 year2 with no problems at all.