Right front has a metallic tap everytime I go over uneven road

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 05:54 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Right front has a metallic tap everytime I go over uneven road

Preface: I'm no mechanic.

I took my car in to get 2 new tires put on and while it was there I had the shop check out a tapping noise that I kept hearing when I'd go over a bump. It is coming from the right front and it's very noticeable. Long story short, they said I needed a new control arm so I had them replace it, but it turned out they replaced the left side control arm by mistake. So replaced the right side control arm at no charge since they messed up, but the sound is still there.

Anytime I go over the slightest bump I hear this tap noise. I can push down sort of hard on the front fender and replicate the noise. Any ideas? And I'm not taking the car back to that place anymore for mechanical issues--just tires from now on.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I chased the same kind of noise for a long time. I finally fixed it by removing the strut, compressing the spring and tightening the nut on the top of the strut.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had same problem. It turned out to be the caliper. I can't recall exactly what exactly caused it, but the caliper had side to side slack. I used a washer to shim it tight and no more noise.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:12 AM
roy
TECH Resident

I had both those problems , strut nut and caliper bolt loose. SNAP TO FIX.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

I dont know about "metallic tap" but lower-ball joints are common items that keep noise (in most cars after some miles) when going over bumps or such, do you notice anything in the steering wheel when you hear the noise?
Old 07-02-2006, 11:32 AM
12 Second Club

That rubber boot/cushion maybe a little worn out or torn. Same thing happend to me except the shock shaft came through the rubber boot with the nut still on it. It made a wonderful sound. Just tighten it up or replace it and you'll be fine.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same noise that I was convinced was coming from the right front. It turned out to be a bad driver side rear swaybar bushing.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thanniv
I had same problem. It turned out to be the caliper. I can't recall exactly what exactly caused it, but the caliper had side to side slack. I used a washer to shim it tight and no more noise.

I have had the same style noise ever since I did my first brake job on my LG C5 front brakes.

Where did you put the washer?

Quick Reply: Right front has a metallic tap everytime I go over uneven road