Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What benefits - sub frames?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What benefits - sub frames?

Are these good only to reduce the amount of rattles on bad roads? Why have these; they don't help the suspension, cornering, braking, etc.; right? My doors tend to rattle at tad over rough spots, sub frames would reduce this; right?

I am now doing front shocks - HD Beisteins, retaining stock SS springs and stock ride height (LT headers). I have some wheel hop now that is new (53K miles) so I assume my rear shocks are also history. Is this right?

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your door rattling over rough spots can be something caused directly by loose components on the door itself. Please be cautious about following through what you read around here from lemming testimonies. Most of the 4th Gen's monocoque "looseness" cannot detected through the ol' butt-o-metre.

SFC's didn't reduce ANY of the rattling in any of the vehicles I have had, and didn't do so for the others I suggested them for as well, and those guys are F-body drag racers with almost as much RWHP as many hyperexotics claim they have. The only way I got rid of the rattles were to inspect several major components over the car, including ALL bushings, mounts, and other suspension components that would wear with time, then go to the interior and get rid of any type of loose "junk" and repair and/or replace the rattle items. Two big culprits were, the passenger side door lock switch and the crappy factory buckets (passenger side bucket rattled when nobody or nothing was sitting on it).

The greatest worth of SFC's are to help jack the side of the car without having to get at the exact point where the factory advises to jack from, especially when tyres need to be changed quickly. 3-points are needed if there is a floorpan mounted TA, but then again, what is the floormounted TA being used for?

First things first, replace the crappy OE shocks on the vehicle, then see what happens from there, and remember with any suspension mod, modify gradually and with one mod at a time.