Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Impressions on UMI torque arm relocation kit

Old 07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impressions on UMI torque arm relocation kit

Let me start off by saying that my experience with UMI has been nothing but stellar. Awesome customer service and a great product.

This is the product I am referring to in case you are wondering :
http://www.umiperformance.com/2207.aspx
First off the bracket is very solid. It came with all necessary parts and great instructions. Install was a breeze.

Now for how it feels. If you are putting down anywhere near a decent amount of torque this mod is a must. Ever since I installed a cam I would shutter when ever I shifted the car at redline. The suspension and torque arm all worked in great harmony to get the car to squat and hook. Only problem was I felt it through the transmission everytime I shifted hard. Especially on the 1-2 shift. I would slam it into 2nd and this re-sounding slam, shutter, and vibration would go through my hand and the entire car. While it was nice knowing the car was hooking I knew it was just hurting my transmission. And when the nitrous got installed the 150 shot just made things even worse.

After installing this relocation kit I thought that I wasn't hooking anymore because of how nice it was when I shifted the gears at redline. I quickly realized that it just wasn't slamming the transmission anymore and was hooking even better now. It is absolutely awesome, I don't shutter everytime I shift the car hard anymore. Just shift, hook, and go. No more Bang!!! it sounds like my car is going to explode.

Now as far as this kit transmitting more road noise I haven't noticed ANY increase in road noise.
**Disclaimer**
I have a large cam, longtubes, and true duals out the back...vibrations are not anything new to me. So it is very possible that raod noise increased, I am just telling you it was not significant enough, in my car to notice.

Thanks again UMI for a great product and awesome customer service,
Brian
Old 07-10-2006, 04:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian, that is great to hear and I appreciate the nice write-up

I am glad you like it and it is working good for you. It has been a popular item for us and we have had great luck with minimal road noise.

Thanks again, the business is appreciated and if there is anything else you need you know where to come.

Thanks again
Ryan
Old 07-10-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Brian, that is great to hear and I appreciate the nice write-up

I am glad you like it and it is working good for you. It has been a popular item for us and we have had great luck with minimal road noise.

Thanks again, the business is appreciated and if there is anything else you need you know where to come.

Thanks again
Ryan
Well I do need a lightweight k-member ...have any of those laying around.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I talked to UMI about that kit last week just saving some funds to do that plus their torque arm. Ryan I do have Mac Mids with macs catted Y does that make any difference?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DVST8OR
Well I do need a lightweight k-member ...have any of those laying around.
Brian, we just took (3) off the powder coat rack, but they are all sold . If you are interested just let me know and I will be glad to help.

Get in touch with me when you are ready.

8GTOKLR- You will have no problems at all with the relocation kit and torque arm with the Mac Mid Lengths. They will all clear and work together great.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

go home its 530 overthere gees.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 8GTOKLR
go home its 530 overthere gees.
LOL, I am working on it but it seems people are complaining about me...so I need to get caught up

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/539244-umi-performance.html
Old 07-11-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

i want a tubular kmember! lol
Old 07-11-2006, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Glad to see someone with experience with this piece already. I have been looking at them ever since Ryan posted that they were releasing them.

Only thing is....the relocation kit for the 98-02 Auto transmission still says "Coming Soon".

Ryan...how "soon" will it be here and available? Will it work with Kooks longtubes and an x-pipe setup? I already have your torque arm (not installed yet) and would like to remove it from my tailshaft
Old 07-11-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98NBMZ
Glad to see someone with experience with this piece already. I have been looking at them ever since Ryan posted that they were releasing them.

Only thing is....the relocation kit for the 98-02 Auto transmission still says "Coming Soon".

Ryan...how "soon" will it be here and available? Will it work with Kooks longtubes and an x-pipe setup? I already have your torque arm (not installed yet) and would like to remove it from my tailshaft
It will fit just fine. I have Hooker longtubes and true duals as well and it fit with no problems. Remember this is a replacment piece for a transmission brace that is already in place it just includes a provision for the torque arm, clearance is exactly the same as before.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

It will fit just fine. I have Hooker longtubes and true duals as well and it fit with no problems. Remember this is a replacment piece for a transmission brace that is already in place it just includes a provision for the torque arm, clearance is exactly the same as before.
Thanks. Is your car M6 or A4? I need the relocation kit for the auto
Old 07-12-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. Is your car M6 or A4? I need the relocation kit for the auto
M6 but you still already have a transmission brace and I assume its clearing the true duals. If it is, then this piece will clear them also.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

If it is, then this piece will clear them also.
I gathered that from your first post . Just want to know when the damn kit for the A4 will be released
Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

ahh the relocation bracket doesnt exist for the A4
Old 07-15-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats to price of this bad boy?
Old 07-15-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

well they already have the automatic for the lt1 so i guess the ls1 auto will follow up
Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
well they already have the automatic for the lt1 so i guess the ls1 auto will follow up
Thats kind of what I am figuring too...but it has said "Coming Soon" for a couple months now
Old 07-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Thats kind of what I am figuring too...but it has said "Coming Soon" for a couple months now
I'm also waiting to get one.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:10 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a very nice piece. I could definately benefit from it and I would have bought one after reading your review, but upon following the link, I must say I am now in complete sticker shock I just can't see how something like that can cost almost twice the price of a set of SFC's I mean, you easily got 2x the material in the SFC's and more complex brackets on the SFC's. I am completely dumbfounded at the pricetag. I want one, but I think I'll just have to browse the for sale section and hope to get lucky enough to find a used one at a more realistic price
Old 07-16-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i really want it,but i plan on putting a 4l80e and i believe the crossmeber is diffrent

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Impressions on UMI torque arm relocation kit