Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Put on new rotors and now no emergency brake...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Put on new rotors and now no emergency brake...

Just like the title states. I put on new rotors today and now my emergency brake doesn't work. First time doing this and really didn't think I had any problems. What did I do? Thanks...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How does the e-brake lever feel? Is it all loose? You might have disconnected the e-brake cable, for lack of a better word, and forgotten to hook it back to its mate on the axle.
Old 07-15-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, here's what I did. I pulled the rear rotors with the ebrake still on. I'm assuming I screwed up the drum adjustment. I think I just need to expand the shoes a little bit (I think shoes are the right term). Does anyone know if I can do this without removing shoes themselves? Thanks...
Old 07-15-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
How does the e-brake lever feel? Is it all loose? You might have disconnected the e-brake cable, for lack of a better word, and forgotten to hook it back to its mate on the axle.
It's very loose. I'm pretty sure I just screwed up the drum for the ebrake. Basically I think when I'm pulling up the handle it's not expanding the shoes enough. God I feel stupid...
Old 07-16-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

When I swapped rear ends I had problems with the e brake too. The rotors were very hard to pull off of the shoes when I took them off. They were just as hard to put back on but now my e brake does not work. There is an adjuster on the bottom of each e-brake but you have to take the rotors off again. Pain in the *** if you ask me. I still have not fixed it, I dont feel like taking off the rotors again.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fire-formula 93
When I swapped rear ends I had problems with the e brake too. The rotors were very hard to pull off of the shoes when I took them off. They were just as hard to put back on but now my e brake does not work. There is an adjuster on the bottom of each e-brake but you have to take the rotors off again. Pain in the *** if you ask me. I still have not fixed it, I dont feel like taking off the rotors again.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what I have to do. Do I have to pull the shoes off or can you just unscrew the adjuster with the shoes still on? I only ask because when I took the rotors off the shoes popped off too and they were a bitch to get back on...Also, seems like it will be tough to expand the adjustment screws with the shoes on. Maybe I'll go without an ebrake for awhile also...
Old 07-16-2006, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The e brake on our car works with a mini drum inside the rear rotor. When you swap rotors you def. dont want it engaged. When you engage the e brake it makes the mini pads expand and it uses the mini drum to lock up the rear tires. If it was difficult to remove the rear rotors, it means your e brake was working at the time. By forcing them off and then back on you did one of 2 things. Either damaged the pads, because they can break off from the assemlby or you messed up the setting to where now it doesnt expand enough to lock up your wheels.
In order to check this you will have to make sure your e brake isnt on, and remove the rear rotors and do a visual inspection for the mini pad damage. If all is good you move to the hard part. And I say hard because it will be trial and error till its right.
And I'm talkin bout the adjustment part.
To adjust the mini pads there is a small little wheel you have to turn on the assembly.
In order to adjust the e brake take off the rotors and turn the adjustment wheel until it expands to the point where its snug on the rotor, (dont go to far because you wont be able to put the rotor back on), if its too loose it wont work and you will have to redo it. Thats why I said trial and error. I had to mess with the adjustment at least three times, rotors on and off till it locked up the tires again.

If for some reason you damaged the pad assembly gm does sell the service kit.
Good luck , and it might be a good idea to have a buddy do one side while you do the other.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
The e brake on our car works with a mini drum inside the rear rotor. When you swap rotors you def. dont want it engaged. When you engage the e brake it makes the mini pads expand and it uses the mini drum to lock up the rear tires. If it was difficult to remove the rear rotors, it means your e brake was working at the time. By forcing them off and then back on you did one of 2 things. Either damaged the pads, because they can break off from the assemlby or you messed up the setting to where now it doesnt expand enough to lock up your wheels.
In order to check this you will have to make sure your e brake isnt on, and remove the rear rotors and do a visual inspection for the mini pad damage. If all is good you move to the hard part. And I say hard because it will be trial and error till its right.
And I'm talkin bout the adjustment part.
To adjust the mini pads there is a small little wheel you have to turn on the assembly.
In order to adjust the e brake take off the rotors and turn the adjustment wheel until it expands to the point where its snug on the rotor, (dont go to far because you wont be able to put the rotor back on), if its too loose it wont work and you will have to redo it. Thats why I said trial and error. I had to mess with the adjustment at least three times, rotors on and off till it locked up the tires again.

If for some reason you damaged the pad assembly gm does sell the service kit.
Good luck , and it might be a good idea to have a buddy do one side while you do the other.
Thanks, yeah that's about what I thought. I assume by pads you're refering to the c-shaped metal things that expand? You're right, this is going to be a pain-in-the-***. I don't think anything's broken though. When I took the rotors off the pads popped off too and I screwed the adjustment wheel in to get the pads back on. Unfortunately I didn't screw them back out to readjust the ebrake...Learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply: Put on new rotors and now no emergency brake...