Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Tires and Chicago weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Chicago weather

Hey guys, I was wondering how much better the nitto drag radials hook than the BFG g-force t/a kdws on the street for a 98 m6 trans am. I don't see the track very often at all, and the problem I have is that I'd love to get a set of radials in the rear, but I hear they're terrible in the snow, so I don't know how much I'd trust them on the highway...I hear the bfg's are pretty good all around performance with excellent wet traction and decent snow traction, but are they several tenths slower than the radials? The car is stock for now with eventual plans to do boltons and a 100 shot with a goal of around 400-430 horses. I figure the nitrous will kill all my traction without a progressive controller anyway, so I'm looking to be able to hook on these tires if I launch at around 2k or 2500 rpms (damn weak rear end) with say 320 or so N/A ponies in case I want to have a little stoplight fun...Car is on its second set of stock F1's now (16" rim), so would something like the bfg in front and nitto in the back be a viable option? Otherwise I'd just go with 4 kdws all around I think, they sound like very good tires for the cash.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:10 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Re: Tires and Chicago weather

Also try www.mfba.org for Chicago responses.

Nittos are not great in the snow, but I'm not sure what's a good snow tire, none of the stock tires are.

I'd buy a set of used snow tires like Blizzaks.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Nittos are horrible in the snow. They turn really hard when it gets cold & they actually sound like a basketball bouncing when you kick them. I took the car out once in the snow last year. I had to start off in 3rd to even have a chance at moving. I gave up and bought a beater with FWD and skinny tires.

If you have to drive the car in the snow, get some cheap wheels and Blizzaks. Tire Rack runs specials every fall for winter tires & wheels.
Old 10-31-2002, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Where's the best place to find some tires/wheels used? I only need them for 2 or 3 months, and I do like the idea of being able to swap them out easily without worrying about having everything remounted and balanced (which is what I wanted to avoid to begin with). How long does it take to change the wheels, just a few minutes to jack up the car and make a quick swap?
Old 10-31-2002, 12:59 AM
Teching In

If i had to drive the Z through the winter, i would opt for a set of snow tires via www.tirerack.com blizzaks or michelin premounted/balanced on steel rims.

Like Jake said...(didn't read the previous post)

<small>[ October 30, 2002, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: meanZ28 ]</small>
Old 10-31-2002, 08:45 PM
TECH Resident

Dunlops Sport 5000`s got me thru several winters in Chicago. Really a great tire, siped from the factory..etc..
Old 10-31-2002, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Jake99SS:
<strong>Nittos are horrible in the snow. They turn really hard when it gets cold & they actually sound like a basketball bouncing when you kick them. I took the car out once in the snow last year. I had to start off in 3rd to even have a chance at moving. I gave up and bought a beater with FWD and skinny tires.

If you have to drive the car in the snow, get some cheap wheels and Blizzaks. Tire Rack runs specials every fall for winter tires & wheels.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Exactly right. Invest in a cheap winter beater. If you can't afford one, look for used Blizzaks (which usually run about what a cheap beater would anyway).

Quick Reply: Tires and Chicago weather