Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need Procedure For Front Springs R&R...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Need Procedure For Front Springs R&R...

Can someone direct me to a site that has the procedure for R&Ring the front springs? I already tried Install U. TIA
Old 01-08-2003, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Need Procedure For Front Springs R&R...

http://www.ls1howto.com/

A couple of things I have found doing several of these swaps is ...

Swap the Torx headed bolts under the brake master cylinder for the 2 hex headed bolts on the passenger side. That way, the next time you have to take it apart, you won't have to remove the brake master cylinder.

A good solid whack on the side of the upper ball joint mount will jolt the ball joint out of the upper mount without the need for a pickle fork or any prying. Have a jack under the lower A arm to support the weight and leave the upper castle nut threaded on as it's under some spring tension.

Unless by some miracle, the threaded portion of the upper shock will be rusted all to hell. I bought a cupped wire brush that fits in a 3/8" drill motor and wire brush the threades, using liberal amounts of penetrating oil. Back the nut off a couple of turns, then run it back down a turn and clean the threads again. Keep repeating the 2 or 3 turns off, back on 1 turn and clean till you get no more rust residue building up in the threads. I destroyed a $300 Koni DA shock before I learned that lesson ... I use a parafin based motorcycle chain lube on the threads to prevent future rusting. NAPA makes a graphite based spray lube called DGF that would probably work even better.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the help. The install went off without a hitch. Mitch, your tips helped a lot.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know you are already finished with your install, but I thought I'd mention that I changed mine without pulling the balljoints at all. I just removed teh end links for the sway bar and took the nuts and bolts out of the top of the strut mounting plate and applied a little weight to the end of the spindle (ok...I stepped on the wheel studs) and the top studs on the shock mounts pulled down through the holes, and the whole assembly dropped forward and swung out from under the fender. I lifted the upper control arm and turned it enough to remove the strut from the lower control arm, replaced it with the new assembly and simply "pushed" it into place until the studs dropped into the mounting holes (the strut plate studs...and I really did push it up in there by hand with no spring compressor or anything....using H&R springs and Koni DA shocks).....and simply bolted it back together....it worked for me....not sure if anyone else has tried it this way....only took a few minutes to do each side (after getting the springs and shocks mounted to the strut plates). Anyway.....glad you got it worked out....

Quick Reply: Need Procedure For Front Springs R&R...