Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Anyone Ran Stock Shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Ran Stock Shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit?

I've really been reading up on shocks, I understand Koni's or Re-valved Bilsteins are the best route, but has anyone ever ran a pro kit with stock orange de-carbon shocks? I don't race my car, just want to lower it for the looks. I'd buy the shocks but they are so expensive, Will the stock shocks be ok for just normal driving, I'm not going to be Autocrossing, or have it on the track. Will stock shocks make it un-driveable? Thanks Brandon.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can drive it with stock shocks, but it will ride like a dump truck. The DeCarbons simply can't control that spring...they really can't even control the stock spring.
If you can live with it, it won't hurt anything.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would guess that about 80% of eibach's customers keep their stock shocks. And then maybe a couple hundred miles later they blame the springs for the awful ride. But those 80% are probably unaware of forums like this one.

Anyway, go ahead and get the springs and keep your stock shocks. If you like the way it turns out, great. If not, just know that you could probably make things better by upgrading your shocks.

Also, be sure to consider other springs available before you buy the prokit. At the very least look into DMS, Hotchkis and Strano's new springs.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't hurt anything but your performance and safety. IMHO...not a good idea. Just my $.02.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

I really want a black spring, that's why I wasn't to interested in BMR's because their red. I am mostly just interested in the looks. A car's stance is most important to me, and my stock SS looks like a 4x4 now. I don't want to lowness of the sportline kit, that looks like a low-rider. Has anyone had experience with DMS's springs. What do you guys recommend? Is there a spring that will lower my car that I can use my stock shocks with? Thanks Brandon.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've seen people do it but its suggested that you switch them out anyway since the stockers are pretty shitty.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by silverta16
I really want a black spring, that's why I wasn't to interested in BMR's because their red. I am mostly just interested in the looks. A car's stance is most important to me, and my stock SS looks like a 4x4 now. I don't want to lowness of the sportline kit, that looks like a low-rider. Has anyone had experience with DMS's springs. What do you guys recommend? Is there a spring that will lower my car that I can use my stock shocks with? Thanks Brandon.
My buddy put the DMS on his 95 Firehawk with AGX shocks and didnt like the the rear springs cause he said they were to soft he loved the fronts. He went back to Level 1 Eibach springs that came with the Firehawk and loves them i had them also on my 97 Trans Am WS.6 the level 1 has a nice drop and has good weight transfer the rears are not as stiff as the pro-kit. I am thinking about Level 1 for my Z28 acutally. As for right now i suggest doing the heater hose mod on the rear remove the spacers and slide some heater hose over the top coil and put them back on the car, my rear dropped about half a inch to a inch it made a noticable difference and was cheap
Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
11 Second Club

Currently running the ProKit with stock struts/shocks.
Car doesn't get much street time right now, and that is the next upgrade for sure.

Ride could be worse...but it could be a LOT better as well.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I recieved my pro kit today an sold it today. I talked with Strano Parts today an they told me the minimum shock was a re-valved bilstein that is $550 an takes 2 weeks to get here. Next was the Koni's $730 for the kit with the 3rd gen rear shocks. After that I had heard enough I sold them to my buddy who doesn't mind spending money. I am going to do the heater hose mod an buy some bilstein HD's. I was told by the company everyone seems to lean on here that the Eibachs with the stock set-up will have an unbearable ride. The fact that your car is a show car/ steet machine means you could use the bilstein HD's,even though their web page an others on this board will diagree, you just can't throw it around like you could with a Koni. I am in the same boat you are want it lower just not willing to pay an outragous price for the shocks.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

been on stock shocks for a year now (but they were brand new) with my prokit. rides good with just me. a passenger and its harsh. ordered some shocks from Sam so we'll see how good it gets
Old 08-02-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've really been reading up on shocks, I understand Koni's or Re-valved Bilsteins are the best route, but has anyone ever ran a pro kit with stock orange de-carbon shocks? I don't race my car, just want to lower it for the looks. I'd buy the shocks but they are so expensive, Will the stock shocks be ok for just normal driving, I'm not going to be Autocrossing, or have it on the track. Will stock shocks make it un-driveable? Thanks Brandon.

I have a prokit, I had the kit before the shocks, trust me man get the shocks! The first couple of months were cool cause the fact that the car looked better it didnt matter much about the bumpyness then you get tired of it. I got shocks 3 months after.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Let me jump in here and say it will be fine. Its not the best set up, but it rides fine and will work until you can get new shocks.
I autoxed on stock shocks with the Pro kit for most of this year. I have done very well and have won many events like this. I have since upgraded to new springs and Konis and the car is about a second a lap faster on your average auto x course.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

I'll probably go ahead and install them and get shocks when I can. The only thing holding me up is just the $$$. I would love to be able to do it all at once but I'll do it as I can, it's just a hobby. I don't drive the car more than 1 day a week, so maybe it will take me the rest of the summer to get sick of the bumpy ride. But I'll probably be so happy with the new look, I won't pay attention, for a while. Thanks Brandon.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll probably go ahead and install them and get shocks when I can. The only thing holding me up is just the $$$. I would love to be able to do it all at once but I'll do it as I can, it's just a hobby. I don't drive the car more than 1 day a week, so maybe it will take me the rest of the summer to get sick of the bumpy ride. But I'll probably be so happy with the new look, I won't pay attention, for a while. Thanks Brandon.
If at all possible, wait a little, and save up some $$$. Then contact SLP for a set of their revalved Bilsteins. They're $400, whicn isn't exactly "pocket change", but they will ride much better than the OE shocks, and then you'll only have to do the front end R&R one time. It's not the WORST job on the planet, but enough trouble that I'd only want to do it once.

(I have the Bilsteins on my '96 Z-28 with the ProKit)
Old 08-02-2006, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
If at all possible, wait a little, and save up some $$$. Then contact SLP for a set of their revalved Bilsteins. They're $400, whicn isn't exactly "pocket change", but they will ride much better than the OE shocks, and then you'll only have to do the front end R&R one time. It's not the WORST job on the planet, but enough trouble that I'd only want to do it once.
I completely agree, doing the front swap once was enough for me.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would suggest spending the extra $150 for Sam's revalves over SLP revalves since the SLP's are set-up for the SLP Eibach springs which are not the same as the Pro Kit. With money being an issue I say hold off until you can do it once and do it right.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

is this just limited to the eibachs or all srings.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by algws6
is this just limited to the eibachs or all srings.
I guess one could say "all springs", however the most important matter is appropriate valving for the spring height and spring rates being used, and the overall combination being conducive to an improvement over the stock springs and decarbon shocks with little drawback.

As been said before, the only problem with aftermarket springs coupled with OE DeCarbons is the valvings are not appropriate for whatever an aftermarket spring height and rate will yield. It will be okay for a while, but eventually a correct shock valving would be better served for comfort and performance.

FWIW, the stock springs aren't really that big of a problem. It's the shock's valving. Visually, the OE ride height could use an improvement. The 4th Gen Koni SA for the front does address these problems very well.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:58 PM
pjb
TECH Resident

I have DMS springs and stock decarbons. its not terrible, but I don't recommend it either.

here's something to consider - rather then buy springs and shocks, why not buy just Koni's? use the stock front springs on the koni's lower perch to drop the front and do the heater hose mod to lower the rear. If I had it to do over again that's the way I would go.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pjb
I have DMS springs and stock decarbons. its not terrible, but I don't recommend it either.

here's something to consider - rather then buy springs and shocks, why not buy just Koni's? use the stock front springs on the koni's lower perch to drop the front and do the heater hose mod to lower the rear. If I had it to do over again that's the way I would go.
Some people want more than a 3/4" front drop 1/2" rear drop.

Quick Reply: Anyone Ran Stock Shocks with Eibach Pro-Kit?