Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein HD review (and past impressions of other mods)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Bilstein HD review (and past impressions of other mods)

Ok guys, here it is. Went over this decision MANY times in my head. Almost got the Koni SAs but in the end, went with Bilstein's so I could get some Strano bars in the near future. The Konis would have been $500 more and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It would have been nice to be able to lower the front to level the car out (rear sag) but it' a driver and couldn't justify it.

First of all, let me say this to all you people wondering what suspension mods to do: DO SHOCKS FIRST!!! Don't be a moron like I was, do SHOCKS FIRST.

Different car, totally different car. My fronts were worn (85k miles) and the new units actually lifted the car just a tad. Not desirable but this mod made this car pleasurable to drive again. Bumps that used to punish me now are only irritating or even just heard. The car is MUCH more comfotable to drive under all conditions. Expansion joints and the like are not felt, only heard. Dips on the interstate are barely felt and only one small bounce results.

The car is also MUCH more stable under all conditions. Long sweepers are much more stable and the car stays flatter. Mid corner bumps no longer upset the car (or my sphincter). Quick transitional turns are also much quicker and more stable. The handling limits of this car have been increased by probably a third but the ease of playing near those limits has been increased 300%.

These shocks just do everything better than the stockers did even new, much less after 85,000 hard miles. The ride was just awful. It now rides like an average car in terms of comfort yet with tremendous sportiness and stability. Even transmission shifts seem smoother as the body now rocks less. The nose dives a little less under braking too. I can hardly believe how much better, dynamically, the car is now. You hear it and hear it from guys who have done it but until you do, you just don't know.

I really wanted Konis but went with Bilsteins, ultimately, due to money. I suspect the Konis would have been incrementally better, even with my stock springs and daily driving but just couldn't do it. I am happy with my decision due to the all around improvements these Bilsteins made to my car. I now like driving again. I suspect that I got 80-90% of the goodness Koni would have given for less than half the cost.

On a positive note, doing all the other components first really made the shocks even more dramatic in my opinion. The suspension overall feels tight but compliant, if that makes sense. Sway bars are next, followed by a torque arm. I think that will do it as I believe the car will feel very planted at that point, in all conditions. I know what a difference sways have had on other cars and wish I'd done those already but am looking forward to them.

Bottom line, do shocks first - Bilsteins or Konis. Then tires and sway bars. Shocks just give benefits for ALL types of dynamic situations. I felt small and noticeable improvements in "feel" with each of my mods. STB helped transitions feel a tad quicker. The SFCs (great mod) just tightened the car up (from squeaks, rattles, and cowl shake) and to me felt like it allowed the sh*tty stock suspension to do its job better. This mod was the most second most dramatic mod to the "feel" of the car, well behind shocks. The LCAs and PHB tightened the rear end up on launch and turns. To my hiney, the LCAs an PHB tightened up the rear just a little more than the STB did the front. Moving to ZR1 wheels and tires helped handling a ton, as well as appearance. It was a dramatic improvement in cornering but having more tire on the ground and less sidewall also increased noise and road thump. Well worth it but also worth noting.

Let me say it again, do shocks first, period. Listen to Sam, Foxx, mitch, and the other guys who always say it. They know their stuff and if you don't listen to them, you're not getting the most out of your mod money and your driving experience.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you running the stock springs?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

Yep, stock springs. Got enough trouble scraping with the height it is. I definitely like the way it rides now.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:27 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Koni SA shocks on stock springs. In my opinion they are a bit firm even on the lowest settings for a stock spring. While I might have a small advantage in handling (it would be hard to tell) I think the Bilsteins probably feel nicer.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:04 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I really agree with your assessment of the HD's. I love mine. After I put SFC's on, impact harshness increased to unacceptable levels, as roads here are pretty lousy. The HD's made a major difference especially when coupled with softer tires. My car rides like a BMW now.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by RevGTO
After I put SFC's on, impact harshness increased to unacceptable levels.
I'm glad to see someone else say this, as I thought this was in my head. I guess when your car doesn't flex in the middle, it makes the suspension try to work even harder. Well, mine couldn't and although chassis stiffness increased, ride quality decreased.

Man, I need new shocks bad!

Ben T.
Old 08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

I had the same problem when I installed SFC's with the stock decrap shocks. It really showed how bad the stock shocks really are.
Old 08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year

that's exactly how I interpreted what I felt. You could tell that it (installing the SFCs) squeezed out what little miserable life was left in the stock crappy shocks. Car feels pretty solid now, for an f-body...

I think I am going to add some more sound deadening (Teklite) and see if I can drown out some more road noise and hear my stereo better. It's already been improved quite a bit.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

LS1Tech 10 Year
Default bump

bumpitty
Old 08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Teching In

Bilstein website shows all four HD shipped to your door for around $265, that sound about right? I'm lookin into getting new shocks for my 99 v6.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought KONI SA's for my 2001 Camaro SS. I went ahead and took the plunge, since the KONI S/A lowered my ride hight in addition to the new springs, which would have driven the cost close to what I was looking at for a set of Bilstiens + Lowering springs.

I love the shocks. It's really hard to describe the feeling of them except for the fact that the car bites back at the road, in a good way. The car will transverse over pot holes and road irregularities with narry a shudder from the wheel. I literally drove the car on the jacked up roads of Louisiana with just two finger tip pressure on the wheel.

High speed stability is also a plus. The car tends to wander alot less when approaching triple digit speeds and confindence with the ride has increased 10 fold. I really do not understand how I was able to "spiritedly" drive the car on the original shocks.

I really feel bad for people who put lowering springs on their stock shocks. They have no idea what they are missing.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a similar expereince. Put on STB & SFCs and thaught my ride was harsher. Then good tires and felt body roll and ride was less than it could b. I did rear koni's and a panhard bar-the diff was amazing. No more side hopping bumps under power. After getting all my Konis on and a good alignment (-1 camber / +4.7 caster / 1/32 toe in) body roll was the obvious weak point. Put on some Strano bars, and wow!

I actulally was really happy at first w/ the car in stock trim (it only had 19k on it). I even ran an event at a 1.8 mile road course and was happy. But as the mods came, the weaknesses got much more apparent (on the street). But with my new aftermarket combo I couldn't be happier! I'm headed back 2 that track on 8-26, I'm confident the improvement will be huge!

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD review (and past impressions of other mods)