Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake upgrade?

I am upgrading my brakes to Brembo blanks and HPS pads and was wondering if I should also upgrade to stainless lines and better fluid? Is there a big advantage to upgrading to stainless lines and better fluid or are the benifits negligible or not worth the money?
Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

From what I have read on here (on stainless lines) and what I know from experience on fluid, here's my advice and observations:

If the car see lots of miles and inclement weather, keep factory lines.
If it's a low mileage/fair weather car, go stainless.
The stainless lines will help marginally in stopping and pedal feel but not as much as a good flush.
Better fluid will be a good improvement. Won't help right away but will keep longer.
MOST of the difference comes from a GOOD flush and bleed in most cases.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:56 AM
TECH Resident

I did the same thing you are doing now. I got brembo blanks, hawk pads. I also bought some of that super blue brake fluid and I also got the stainless lines. The pedal feels awesome now compared to what it was like before I changed everything. I dont know how much the stainless lines helped since I changed the lines and fluid at the same time. I really dont have an answer as to whether the lines are worth the money or not, but you'd have to be crazy not to put new brake fluid in the system.

As far as how they do with daily driving. I read somewhere that dirt gets in the braided stainless line and you have to replace them. The lines I got that sam strano sold me are completely sealed with clear rubber tubing. I dont know how dirt is going to get in these. Nothing like nice new brakes after driving around on stock warped rotors for months on end tho.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Launching!

Thanks guys
Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 AM
11 Second Club

I have a similar setup as well (stoptech rotors, hawk HPS pads, Earl's stainless lines) The pedal feel is awesome, the braking is much better than stock. I bleed my brakes every 5k miles and haven't noticed the fluid any more dirty than when using stock lines.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Get the lines, but dont install them right away. Drive a couple miles on the new stuff, then put the lines on and then give us your opinions so we can see how much of a difference they really make when thats the only thing thats been changed.