Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sucking brake system dry?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sucking brake system dry?

I know i would get air in the system and have to bleed them however would i cause any damage by sucking all the fluid out of the system. i plan on having all of my calipers off for a while as well as changing all of my lines. i have access to an air powered machine that hooks right to the bleeder screw. plan on going around to each caliper and sucking out the old crap while adding more to the cylinder as it goes down to get a complete flush then when im ready to take the calipers and lines off ill just suck everyone of them dry. that way i can change all the lines without making a mess all over my garage as well as not getting fluid all over my freshly painted calipers. if when i have everything put back together and i add fresh fluid and do a good bleed will it be ok or will the system being dry for a couple of week damage anything?
Old 10-17-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't let the system run dry. Some cars are a real pain to get air out of the ABS unit and master cylinder. Also, residual brake fluid in the system will attract moisture and could result in accelerated corrosion of pistons and valves in the master, abs unit, or other brake components with moving parts. If you're set on painting the calipers and flushing the system I'd do the following.

Flush each caliper all the way out with fresh fluid. A power bleeder (check out Motive Products) works well for this and will make sure you don't run the system dry. As you paint each caliper remove the flexible line at the body and install a plug (check out any parts store, they'll have em) into the hole to prevent excessive fluid leakage. Reinstall the calipers, and bleed each wheel.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

any idea what the plugs are called, i went to two stores and couldnt find them?
Old 10-20-2006, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using the copper crush seals, install a 3/8" bolt and nut through the banjo fitting of the new line, like shown here.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...n/image002.jpg

Remove the old brake line and quickly install the new brake line with the sealed end.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

I let mine run dry over a month period and all I did was bench bleed the master while it was still in the car to make sure the air was all out of the master and then used my mighty-vac to suck the fluid through the lines to the individual calipers. Once I got a good stream, I bleed the pi$$ out of it the old fashioned way---with two people. Worked like a charm and didn't have ANY problems with my ABS...works like it always has.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sure, it can be done. By why do it when you don't have to?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

very true, but I made the mistake of running it dry so I had no choice
Old 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ah ... gotcha.