Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Steel braided bake lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steel braided bake lines

Anyone out there replace all four of their flex lines with steel braided lines? I'm considering swapping mine out as they're looking a little ratty and I'm wondering if anyone noticed a difference in firmness or if it's all hype.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought earls stainless brake lines from the ws6 store & are very happy with them. They do increse pedal firmness but are still very comfortable. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2006, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your factory lines are still in good shape, then a good flush will make the pedal just as firm as braided lines.

The fluid change that results from a brake line change is what firms up the pedal.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mitchntx
If your factory lines are still in good shape, then a good flush will make the pedal just as firm as braided lines.

The fluid change that results from a brake line change is what firms up the pedal.

I'm with mitch... I changed mine when the fluid was fresh, No difference... remember, your stock lines are braided... just cut one open!
Old 10-18-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm also with mitch as well. The real problem with the firmness is mostly due to old brake fluid and/or air in the lines.

While it is true that there are "old school" rubber lines out there that really have "flex", the majority of the SS lines don't really measure much of a difference (with the exception of some really hard RR/PDX) from the standard OE lines (which are teflon braided). The real problem that is felt with older brake systems on the f-bodies is really the old fluid which is hygroscopic (ability to absorb moisture), thus becomes highly compressable (hence mostly the cause of a spongy pedal).

The addition of SS lines does nothing with wretched brake fluid.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same experience on my bike with steel lines, just wasn't sure if it was similar with the car. Thanks for saving me a few bucks guys.