Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

question, Noise when I brake

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question, Noise when I brake

Hello if yall have any answers to what might be the problem please let me know.
this is an A4
Problem- somtimes when ever i come to a complete stop and hold down the brake pedal i hear a tick/thump and can kinda feel it in the pedal but when i put the carinto park or neutral the ticking/thumping stops. And this happen about 75% of the time and other times when i come to a complete stop thers is not a single tick/thimp

if you oculd help that would be real nice
Old 10-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Launching!

no ideas??
Old 10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

All I can guess is that your pads are just sticking. Try breaking hard a few time and wearing a small amount off the pads. My truck did the same damn thing and it kills me. I just hit the breaks from 60 as had as I could a few times. For me it went away.

There are a bunch of things it could be so before you do get on the brakes hard jack it up and take a look at the floater pins and make sure all the bolts are tight. If you can't handle that take it to a mechanic.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Launching!

aight thanx bro
Old 10-19-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

make sure your caliper bolts are to the right torque... this can make a big difference
Old 10-19-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, one of my caliper bolts was extremely loose. I would come to a stop and it would make a "thump" noise that I could feel. One day I was driving and I heard a loud bang. Turns out the bolt backed itself out and lodged itself between the caliper and the rotor. Could have been a bad accident, thank god it wasn't. I replaced the bolt and tightened them all accordingly and the noise stopped immediatly.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you dont have a torque wrench id highly suggest it. if you tighten the caliper bolts past the torque suggested, they will break very easily.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Yeah, one of my caliper bolts was extremely loose. I would come to a stop and it would make a "thump" noise that I could feel. One day I was driving and I heard a loud bang. Turns out the bolt backed itself out and lodged itself between the caliper and the rotor. Could have been a bad accident, thank god it wasn't. I replaced the bolt and tightened them all accordingly and the noise stopped immediatly.

yeah i can feel the thump along with a little noise and then wehn i come to a stop and it keep making the noise/thunmp that i can feel i had a freind get out and look under the hood for anything and there was no noise under the hood it iso nley a thump i can feel and a slight noise from the drives seat so thanks alot i will go cheak that out immediately

Quick Reply: question, Noise when I brake