Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sway Bar Differences

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sway Bar Differences

Ok I'm thinking about buying some new sway bars for my '99 Z28. After tons of reading and searching it seems Stranos are the way to go.
But here's my question:
How much of a difference will they actually make? I mean will I only notice that they're there when I'm getting on it or will it make the car feel better just driving like normal on the street?
Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They will make the car different/better any time you turn the steering wheel, see a crosswind or run at high speeds. Swaybars can transform a car. A while back, I suggested that a friend buy a 35mm front bar (everything else was stock). He did, and I got a phone call from him later that night while he was out driving and he was raving about how much better the car was for just the price of a front bar. Sure, shocks have the most impact, but just adding a front bar will really surprise you, adding both can be even better in many cases.

You'll like it, trust me.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, I didn't realize it'd make that large of a difference.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It (and to some extent, spring rate) determines the ultimate limit of body roll in a certain turn at a certain speed (roll degrees per "g force" on the chassis). Shocks control how fast it rolls, sway bars control how far it rolls.

It won't cause world peace, but it can really change your car.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say do it! Big change. It's hard to drive an Fbody without a front bar. (well not hard, but hard for me since I been so used to it!)

Go for it!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

I'd go for it. I have hotchkis front and rear bars and love them. I have a slew of other things done to improve handeling but those bars had a HUGE impact.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 02 Firehawk with the bilstein suspension. Do I need to upgrade the rear sway bar? I know I have the big front sway bar, but the rear sway bar lookes like it is the same size as everyone elses.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Is it the Ultra Suspension or a Level 1? If it's Ultra, you have a 35mm bar already, and if you have that, you have a 21mm rear too.

I smell assumptions and generalizations around this thread, and those things will screw you everytime.

Bars make more difference than antything else except shocks. Unless you have a good bar setup, in which case a change is wasted money.

Z28's have not enough bar, mostly in front

SS's have a better front, but not as good as they can be, Level 1 is no different.

Ultra Suspensions have nice bars sizes and a hollow 35 front, but the rear is solid where my 22mm rear is hollow saving about 5 pounds.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion