Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Are My Rotors Warped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are My Rotors Warped?

whenever i drive past like 80 mph and have to brake..my car shakes..

All my friends tell me my rotors r 'warped'..if thats the case, how much will it cost to fix?
Old 11-10-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run your finger along then and just feel if they are...theyll have groves....and that will wear your pads down really fast...you can get them resurfaced if there not that bad...but just go get some slotted and drilled ones...in the end it wont be that big of a difference in price
Old 11-10-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It has been talked about in many many thread drilled and slotted offer NO increase in braking performance and in extreme racing cases may hurt it..
Old 11-10-2006, 06:10 AM
TECH Resident

Rotors don't warp, they get cementite buildup from hard braking then parking the car. The pad sticks to the rotor, you move the car and it leaves material on the rotor (we are talking ten thousandths of an inch). You can prevent it by just driving around a bit after you've been on the brakes hard before you park the car. And when I say hard braking, I mean a couple of high MPH stops. When you can feel the heat eminating from the rotors when you put your hand near the wheel, it's hot.

You can get the rotors cut, but it's easier to just buy new rotors and pads. Don't cheap out on the pads, and consider a flush and fill of the braking system with some DOT 5 fluid.

Just FYI...
Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

of course, you can also do like i just got through doing (as in about 15 mins ago), and get some new rotors to throw on there, then keep your old ones and get them turned, if they're not already too worn out. that way, when the time comes again to have them changed, you've already got your replacements, then rinse & repeat the process.

i lucked out, too, and didn't even need to change the pads....they still had 2/3 of the material left on them. if you luck out and that's the case for you as well, it should take no more than about 30 - 45 mins, like it did w/me.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

yea, your front rotors are probably warped, you should get your rotors turned doing this essentially creates a new surface on the rotor, dont for get to get new break pads no matter how much life is left in them.

you can go to any place the does alinngments and brakes, and oil changes, it usually takes about an hour or less, and runs around 100-150$ for both fronts, and depending on weather or not you buy your own pads, or use the ones the shop has on stock.

i had mine warp around 28,000mi (current mi is 38,100) and i got them resurfaced (same thing a turnig them) and i havent had a problem since.