Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Should I buy an adjustable torque arm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy an adjustable torque arm?

My Formula is lowered with a ProKit and still makes around the stock level of power. I have a UMI adj. panhard, UMI single rodend LCAs, and the UMI three point subframe connectors. I always figured I'd upgrade most of the suspension before adding much power.

I'm considering buying the UMI tunnel mount torque arm before starting on engine mods or putting in a stall, but I'm wondering if there's any real point to it at this stage.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-11-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car is looking great. i need to get the onmy car and fast.. But as far as an adjustable TA i say go for it. with the adj TA you can center your rear and adjsut the pinion angle
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
car is looking great. i need to get the onmy car and fast.. But as far as an adjustable TA i say go for it. with the adj TA you can center your rear and adjsut the pinion angle
That's not my car. That's just a picture from UMI's site showing off the parts. :p

I have that same setup though, minus the torque arm and front A-arms.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Addict

If your car is lowered with the Pro-Kit your pinion angle is already out of whack and you should invest in an adjustable torque arm.

Contrary to what was posted above a TA does not center your rear.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
If your car is lowered with the Pro-Kit your pinion angle is already out of whack and you should invest in an adjustable torque arm.
I tend to agree. I think I need to correct the pinion angle before I start adding power. I also like the idea of moving the mount off of the transmission.

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
Contrary to what was posted above a TA does not center your rear.
Yeah, I know... I just didn't mention anything. The panhard bar takes care of centering the rear...
Old 11-12-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Get Shorty
I also like the idea of moving the mount off of the transmission.
If its for tail shaft housing, chances of you breaking that are slim to non existant.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DONAIMIAN
If its for tail shaft housing, chances of you breaking that are slim to non existant.
I just don't like the stock TA mount location... I don't know if it's really a bad thing or not. Either way, I really like the idea of having the TA mounted to the center tunnel.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

if you ever want the option of running a true dual exhaust setup, you'll want to stay away from the tunnel-mounted T.A., and stick with one that mounts at the tranny location. if you still want to get the mounting point off the tranny, then get the relocation kit that UMI (and maybe others) offers

read this thread, if you haven't already
Old 11-12-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
if you ever want the option of running a true dual exhaust setup, you'll want to stay away from the tunnel-mounted T.A., and stick with one that mounts at the tranny location. if you still want to get the mounting point off the tranny, then get the relocation kit that UMI (and maybe others) offers

read this thread, if you haven't already

what TA will work for me then??? I have TDs here are some pics

Old 11-12-2006, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
what TA will work for me then??? I have TDs here are some pics

As dicussed in the other thread this torque arm is needed and will work for your set-up --> www.umiperformance.com/2205.aspx take a look at the installation pictures showing it installed with a true dual system.

Get Shorty, if you need any help choosing a torque arm feel free to send me a PM and I will be glad to help

As for the tail shaft failure, correct it isn't real common but does happen. We just had a customer with a LS1 automatic with 320 HP with a few bolt ons, not drag raced just snap the tail shaft on the highway. Also had a customer snap his on the dyno. The first thing to usually happen is the clamshell will bend or break first... usually

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 11-12-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Ryan.. then will the A4 TA reloaction be released? I don't want to take any chances on breaking the tailshaft housing on my car.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Regular

what would cause the tailshaft to prematurely break? is it because the bar has been set up too tight? installation errors? what?
id like to get a tunnel mounted arm but it wont work with my future plans for the car...im on a tight budget and really cant afford a new tranny if mine breaks

Quick Reply: Should I buy an adjustable torque arm?