Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Blistein SLP question PLEEEEEEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blistein SLP question PLEEEEEEASE HELP!!!

ok well my other thread was closed, and i didnt get the help i was looking for, i realize this has probably been discussed before, but i would really appreaciate(SP?) some help. i know the konis are GREAT like tony the tiger, and i know the slp blisteins are not so GReat, but ive read several different things, on the slp blisteins. ive read that they cannot handle a after market spring well and ive read that they can handle an after market spring well. im torn between either the hotchkis or the eibach pro kit. will the slp handle these springs well? im not looking for a race set up, im not taking any turns doing 80mph or anything, i just want a comfortable ride, and a good looking stance. thanks everyone for the help
Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have obviously searched and discovered that some say "no way" and others say "OK".

Why on earth would you think yet another thread on the subject would yield you anything else?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The fronts have less bump damping and more
rebound damping. On the theory that I would
need or like more bump with the higher spring
rate I went with the SLP over the straight
Bilsteins. The rebound should be higher to damp
the higher spring energy once compressed. The
overall feel on my car is fine (by me) in the
front.

The rears are the same as regular Bilsteins.

Bilsteins are a durable shock and the only prob
is, one size does not fit all. There's always some
better setup (for more $ most likely). But good
enough it may be.
Old 11-24-2006, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know why they're called SLP Bilstein shocks?

Supposedly they were valved to work with the SLP/Eibach springs for optimum results.

SLP/Eibach springs sit higher than the Eibach Prokits, they are also softer, which means that the Eibach Prokit springs sit a bit lower than the SLP/Eibach springs, which also means that they are stiffer than the SLP/Eibach springs, which ALSO means that the SLP Bilstein's are not matched for the Eibach Prokit springs...

Hotchkis springs are stiffer than both the SLP/Eibachs or the Eibach Prokits I believe...

Now you said you want comfort, right???

Or would you rather have a cool stance?

Which one is it?

The only you can have both is if you either buy the Koni Single Adjustables, or, spend the extra money and buy the revalved Bilstein's that match the springs that you are going to buy...

Period.

If you want to go cheap, then buy the SLP Bilsteins and get whatever spring you want, cuz it won't make much of a comfortable ride, but hey, your car stance will look good and you will will get your stance at a cheap price...

AND, you will hear lots of folks here say that the Bilstein HD's or the SLP/Bilsteins are just fine for their Hotchkis/BMR/Eibach Prokit/Eibach Sportlines, some even say that their KYB AGX's are wonderful for the above springs as well...

Here's the truth: Bilstein HD's are not meant for lowered springs, and the KYB's are not built as well as the Bilstein HD's, so there you go...

I guarantee you that the latter opinions have not rode in a vehicle with Koni's or revalved Bilsteins valved for their aftermarket springs, so they don't know any better.

I did what everyone else told me was great, I had Bilstein HD's on Eibach Prokits on my 93 Z28 and let me tell you that I was VERY disappointed with my cars handling and ride comfort...

Koni's or revalved Bilstein's all the way...

Good luck!
Old 11-24-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks a lot man i really appreciate it!
Old 11-24-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

buy your combo once. Get Strano revalved bilsteins and talk to sam about the best spring choice for you. Strano bilsteins ride and handle great.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay I'm a newbie as far as the whole shock/spring set ups...Hell I'm still runnin' the stock DeCarbon's on the SS...what if you have a brand new set of Bilstein HD's that haven't been installed yet. Is there any good way to have them revalved before I install them or just try them out first? Stock LT1 springs up front and Kenny Brown 3-way progressive in the rear with 18's all the way around (street trim)...

Last edited by DJ's99SS; 11-25-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can attempt to contact Bilstein NA, either on the west coast or the east coast, whichever office will offer a rebuild/revalve service for the HD's (which last I checked they do, however I'm not too sure what their policies over at their will call are now).

Revalving isn't an easy thing to calculate (and even though I know what to do, I don't divulge the technique).
Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
You can attempt to contact Bilstein NA, either on the west coast or the east coast, whichever office will offer a rebuild/revalve service for the HD's (which last I checked they do, however I'm not too sure what their policies over at their will call are now).

Revalving isn't an easy thing to calculate (and even though I know what to do, I don't divulge the technique).
Foxxtron you can PM me on this (revalve technique) if you don't mind. Save me time and alot of hassle I'm sure. I'll keep your secret safe with me...
Old 11-25-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Dennis, if you want to do a ride-along with me some time, I can show you what Koni SA's are like.

-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DJ's99SS
Foxxtron you can PM me on this (revalve technique) if you don't mind. Save me time and alot of hassle I'm sure. I'll keep your secret safe with me...
Well, there really isn't a "secret" and I don't have a problem sharing, however the Bilstein HD isn't really a user revalvable shock to begin with. It can be, however that can be discussed with Bilstein NA, who not only have the appropriate knowledge, but the appropriate tools as well. Revalving not only requires the disassembly of the damper itself, but also requires a check through a damper dynamometer. In short, a beginner who usually performs the technique won't save any time or any hassle, it's quite the opposite.

http://www.bilstein.com/services.php

Be aware that if you shall use them directly on a pre-owned shock, you'll have to discuss specifications on what you can use.

Quick Reply: Blistein SLP question PLEEEEEEASE HELP!!!