Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ass hittin on the bumpstops

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default *** hittin on the bumpstops

car is a 83k miles on the clock 2000 Z28 A4

been driving it around and when i come to a crack or somthing that makes the car bounce, i feel the rear end hitting i'm guessing the bumpstops. it has Eibachs springs on all 4 but the left side sits alittle lower now. it used to be fine and everything....it's just recently taht it has done that. i was wonderin if it was teh shocks that are crapping out on me, they are still the stock ones...how long do they usually last?

i went threw a few pages on here with similar problems except they fixed them with new springs cuss they were sagging or installed incorrectly.

thanks for the help in advance
Old 12-07-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well 1st the stock shock and a eibach springs,(I assume it's a pro kit) don't work together,next my pro kit as alway set about 3/8th's lower on the left,and from the time they where new would always ride the bumpstops.

I would guess the lowering springs have blown the shocks.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

damn i just needed to hear some confirmations on that. like the body littelry floats about maybe and inche or so fromt he bottom of the bumpstop to the top of the rear axle like an inch to a inch and a half!!

guess i'll have to buy some revalved bilsteins next year...owell an excuss to finally get some suspension parts! thanks for the help!!
Old 12-07-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No biggie I'm dealing with the same problem.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

it sucks huh, cant really put a load in the back or else it rides on the damn things now
Old 12-15-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

update!!

yeah i couldnt take it anymore and went out to autozone and got their super cheap *** 13 buck ones. put them on and went around the block. felt a better ride quality....EXCEPT now when there little bumps i can REALLY feel them, it feels like the ride quality when you cut up the springs to lower it and you loose all of the tension and it becomes a real bouncy ride. that's how it feels like now with the different shocks. lol and i got the left side to sit even now....but now the right side sits lower than on the left side. i can fit 2 fingers inbetween the gap of the wheel and the fender whell on the left side, and only barely make it one finger on the right side. i've also noticed that it still hits the underside.

dose anyone have any instructions on how to install the springs? i was replacing the fuel pump on the car and the springs came down when i lowered the tank. i went to go put the springs back in but i dont know if there is anything that i need to line up or somthing. the ride quality has been going down hilll ever since then. (well actually it started a few months before, but when i dropped everything down is when it really started to get noticable)

anyways still need some help. thanks!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of shape are your bumpstops in? Mine on my 97 were deteriorated.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

there not in bad bad shape, theyre all still there, it's just "chewd" on alil. i'm wondering if maybe my bushings just craped out on me on the lower control arms. i'm going to check it out tommorw. are the springs suppost to go in a certain way? or dose it matter?
Old 12-16-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man i do the same *** banging **** at stock.. m thinking about getting some stock shocks and putting on my 1" BMR lowering springs (OEM ride spring rates)
Old 12-26-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

TTT dose anyone have any STOCK pictures of the rear springs, like the way they are located? i'm going to see if i can redo them again.