Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Upgrade Kit...(exploring mode)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Brake Upgrade Kit...(exploring mode)

I'm looking for a step above the stock system. Done some searching on this forum and it seems everyone that does this goes ALL OUT $2-7K!! I'm just looking to improve my calipers in the front for better stopping power.

I've checked the sponsors and just don't know what direction to go in. This is a weekender car that has a bunch of rwhp & rwtq w/ stock brakes with upgraded rotors and axxis pads. 17" wheels too.

Does this type of kit exit?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:12 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Sure. C5 brakes sounds like they fit the bill fine.

For more info, use this sticky at the top of this forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/353903-brake-faq.html

That pretty much lays it all out there. The big brake, 4 wheel kits are big money. The Corvette setup should fit your budget, definately an improvement...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Sure. C5 brakes sounds like they fit the bill fine.

For more info, use this sticky at the top of this forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=353903

That pretty much lays it all out there. The big brake, 4 wheel kits are big money. The Corvette setup should fit your budget, definately an improvement...
Thanks.

However, I thought (1st mistake) that the calipers on the 2000 Camaro SS were the same PBR set up as the C5?

BTW, Great info in this sticky!!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several sponsors carry the UMI C5 brake conversion kit (UMI, Sam Strano at Stranoparts.com, byunspeed.com, etc.) Check out our sponsors and they'll let you know what you need. Just to put a price out there the complete kit runs about $750.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got stock size replacement rotors, Axxis pad & SS lines already. What I need to know is, if I get a caliper kit like this:

Will it work and make a noticeable difference?
Old 12-08-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

As compared to a worn down stock F-body kit, yes. As compared to a stock F-body brake system with good blank rotors, good pads, and fresh fluid, barely, unless it's on a road course with some good tyres.

Overall it's a good kit, however like all brake kits, pad selection and brake fluid is paramount for it's good performance. Now if you really expect to shorten your distances, then you have to manage the weight of your vehicle (GVW, weight distribution, shock damping).
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
As compared to a worn down stock F-body kit, yes. As compared to a stock F-body brake system with good blank rotors, good pads, and fresh fluid, barely, unless it's on a road course with some good tyres.

Overall it's a good kit, however like all brake kits, pad selection and brake fluid is paramount for it's good performance. Now if you really expect to shorten your distances, then you have to manage the weight of your vehicle (GVW, weight distribution, shock damping).
Yup, this is what I was afraid of:

Is this what you have? If so, does it work with 17" Fikse wheels?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh, I don't even think you'd need that. The C5 kit, or even a stock setup with good blanks, good pads, and good brake fluid would more than suffice. Yes, I do have that, however it too doesn't really scrub off speed much greater than a stock system. I'd say with my ST-40 equipped with pagid oranges and the OE rears installed with OE brake pads, it would probably shorten distances a bit better than normal (didn't get a chance to measure after testing my street vehicle AFA straight stopping distances). While I do enjoy the stiffer brake pedal, ease of changing pads, it's not much of an improvement over a stock system when it comes to performance street driving. Where it really shines is on a road course, but again, the pad is critical.

AFA your fiske wheels, The C5 kit is practically the same fit under your wheels as the OE f-body brake kit is. AFA the ST-40, you'll need to use this as a measuring tool:

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/ch...83-2450-01.pdf

Also bear in mind that the only times I've seen a stock system fail is on a road course, and that's with the stock single piston LT1 brakes. The stock LS1 brakes usually spread their calipers due to poor pad choice, or those who really road race their cars like crazy.

Last edited by Foxxtron; 12-08-2006 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

...Overall it's a good kit, however like all brake kits, pad selection and brake fluid is paramount for it's good performance. Now if you really expect to shorten your distances, then you have to manage the weight of your vehicle (GVW, weight distribution, shock damping)...
The reason I'm quoting myself here is due to another fact that many who upgrade their kits from a stock worn system (usually comprised of POS OE rotors, POS OE pads, and old brake fluid) really enjoy the newfound sensation of "nearly putting our faces through the windscreen." While this does prove that the brakes are working quite well, it doesn't always translate into shorter brake distances, and most certainly doesn't directly translate into a dramatic improvement over the stock system per se. It's a dramatic improvement over worn out brake rotors, pads, and brake fluid. There is another factor to be mentioned that is necessary to braking as well. Many use a five letter word to describe an utmost underestimated item of suspension.

Shocks are very necessary for braking as well. If you have worn shocks or shocks that aren't valved for good rebound (which controls the sprung mass of the vehicle), your brakes, tyres, springs, and swaybars are not getting their best performance. Heck, in my vehicle there is hardly any brake dive, yet I was stopping at a considerably shorter distance to my friend who has a similarly weighted Camaro with ST40's (he never competes in any HPDE or RR, so it's a mystery to me why he opted for ST40's). His car had lots of brake dive, and was stopping like dookey, until he broke down and purchased Koni SA's. Now his car stops much in the same manner mine does and nearly the same stopping distances. Bear in mind that there road conditions a key factor here, however this was on a dry clear afternoon with somewhat warm pavement temperatures.

AFA the weight factors, they have quite an influence once they're under control as well. Not only Gross vehicle weight, but also weight distribution matters as well (front/rear bias, cornerweights, crossweights, spring rates which manage the distribution of weight as well).

Again, it's a good idea to upgrade and certainly replace, however the improvement in an F-body's brake system performance is mostly from pad compound selection (proper thickness), rotor durability (and proper mass), and good brake fluid. Having a better caliper can help, however increasing the rotor diameter for street performance will increase MOI, which in turn can slighty harm accleration or braking. Sometimes you just cannot avoid this situation, however if your brake temperatures are under control, why add more mass at the outer diameter and not through the width? If the rotors are overheating, it also pays to examine the pad compound and thickness, especially since a too thin of a pad to absorb less heat will unecessarily cause the rotors to bear more heat.

Just some of my 2 cents with this stuff.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

Although I wont state this as a fact (I dont know of anyone whos tried yet), but its my understanding that the new c6 calipers and the c5 calipers are interchangeable and use the same abutment brackets. The c6 caliper is much more rigid and has more material that the c5 ones. You may want to look into getting a "c5 conersion" that uses c6 calipers.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Back when I went from a stock street setup with HPS pads to larger C5 rotors with LG brackets (same calipers and pads) I was convinced that there was a difference - albeit slight. I never made an attempt to quantify it, but I just felt that even in mild street driving there was less "pedal effort" needed - if that makes any sense. For example, if in the past I had to apply X lbs of force to the pedal to get the rate of decel that I wanted under a given condition, I now had to apply X-1 lbs of force to achieve the same rate. Again, it was slight, but noticeable. Certainly not enough to get excited about, but in the absence of any data proving otherwise, I do feel there was an improvement. Maybe it was only pedal feel, but IMO ANY improvement in braking is welcome.

IMHO, if you're looking for a reasonable upgrade over stock then the UMI or LG adapters in conjunction with C5 rotors, some nice pads, and good fluid is a solid approach. Certainly no need to spend $2000+ on a big brake kit.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Question Brake Up-grades

Ok, I've replaced the warped stock rotors with Baer Eradispeed cross drilled & slotted replacements,had lines replaced with stainless [RUSSELL] lines, replaced pads with GM high performance ceramic's but my pedal is still not hard like I want it. I've heard you can install a smaller diameter brake booster for a firmer brake pedal. How about it Strano ?
Old 12-15-2006, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimmyz
I'm looking for a step above the stock system. Done some searching on this forum and it seems everyone that does this goes ALL OUT $2-7K!! I'm just looking to improve my calipers in the front for better stopping power.

I've checked the sponsors and just don't know what direction to go in. This is a weekender car that has a bunch of rwhp & rwtq w/ stock brakes with upgraded rotors and axxis pads. 17" wheels too.

Does this type of kit exit?
When I first got my 93 Z (stock brakes) I experienced major brake fade when the brakes got hot. At that time I (like you) didn't want to do the all out $2,000.00 + brake kit.
I bought the Auto Specialities drilled and sloted replacement rotors for the front and rear and their "Extream Stop 911" pads. Night and day differance! It's an inexpensive simple upgrade, and it's much harder to overdrive these brakes.