Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

strano revalves + strano bars or koni sa?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default strano revalves + strano bars or koni sa?

Hello, i have a question of wich would benefit more for me? ill be calling sam soon but i'm curious. i was thinking of going with the bilstien revalves and a set of sam's bars or would it be better if i keep my stock bars and just get the koni sa shocks. which woud benefit me more? my car is lowered on rk sport springs about a 2 in drop over stock and i will by then have adj phr, lca's and tq arm and sub frames and strut tower brace. this is not a race car just a pleasure car that will see the drag strip mabye once or twice a year mabye. i just want better handeling and the stock decarbons are well you all know. thanks for the help in advance. Bob
Old 12-10-2006, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO....

Strano bars will make the car much more pleasurable in the twisties.

I have not tried revalves, but love the adjustability of my SAs. With SAs u should be able to adjust to match your ride taste, and keep them should u change springs. The diff between SAs and stockers is dramatic.

I say spend the $ and get SAs AND Strano Bars!
Old 12-10-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think you miss understood my question i would like to know what would benefit me more either the revalves and sam's bars OR stock swaybars and koni sa's
Old 12-10-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Short answer: Revalves and Strano bars=better than Konis alone.

I didn't misunderstand...thats why AND was in caps. Revalves r better than stock no doubt, but would be $ wasted if they do not suite u or ur springs.

I would save and get the KONIs. Most anyone will say (including Strano) the stock shocks are a big problem. Revalves are better than stock. Strano bars are also better than stock. So revalves and Strano bars would probly be better than Koni's alone. However, If u r unhappy w the revalves, and buy the Konis later (like many have), the $ you spent on the revalves is a total loss. In short adjustablilty is worth the extra price, and is like insurance in that you can just switch settings if too harsh or soft, rather than swapping to another shock altogether.

Whats the rush? I'm sure you don't want to buy the same parts twice, and that could happen if you settle 4 revalves to afford the strano bars.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Sam told me to go with Koni's first, then sway bars. The shocks will make the biggest difference, and for some people, that's enough.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, what setting do you typically run on the konis? so from what i have now wich is ****, will the konis be a complete night and day difference? how and where do the konis adjust, it is a **** or similar way of adjustment? dose anyone have any pics of the adjuster? thanks

Last edited by 99zman; 12-10-2006 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

I love my revalves. I think revalved Bilsteins have better road manners than Konis. Konis are more flexible if you want to run high rate springs.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I love my revalves. I think revalved Bilsteins have better road manners than Konis. Konis are more flexible if you want to run high rate springs.
what springs do you run on your car? what was the difference compared to the stock shocks? thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you buy from Strano, he will give good baseline adjustment to start from. I have my rears very near full soft. You adjust the rears at the top of the shock, which is accessable from inside the car. Fold down the top seat, pull back a small piece of carpet, and bam.

Front shocks I have softened 8 sweeps if memory serves. Correct me guys if I'm wrong but Strano said start at 4 from full hard. I have softened more...its a DD. These are adjustable through a slot near the top of the shock. You have to be carefull to index it when installing, so adjustment slot/window is facing out. Then you need to jack the car up a bit, and you can adjust over the tire, and between the spring coils using an allen wrench.

Oh, I run stock springs. My stockers only had 20k on them and were fine. I would say the diff is night and day, especially on the back. These combined w an adjustable PHB made the rear seem glued 2 the road. The rear kinda bounced and side stepped over bumps...much better now!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone else?
Old 12-11-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by 99zman
what springs do you run on your car? what was the difference compared to the stock shocks? thanks

1LE fronts- 360#
Old 12-12-2006, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Subtlez28 has pretty much told you what to do. With out a doubt you need to fix your dampers first. Infact it should of been the first change made. Nevertheless, Koni's are a fantastic damper but offer no appreciable performance over revalves (as long as you're accurate with the information you give to Sam). What advantages you do get with Koni's are a lifetime warranty and the ability to adapt to other changes you make, such as changing spring rates, tire size, bar size, even the type of ends on your LCA's.

If you are on a budget go with relvalves and Sam's bars and be done with it. You'll have far more roll control and ultimately better tire compliance than with Koni's alone, if that's what you're looking for.

Scott.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Koni SA's also offer the benefit of a lower spring perch, too.
Old 12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02SS#406
Koni SA's also offer the benefit of a lower spring perch, too.
Sure, it's another plus of SA's..... But only if stock springs are used. This should not be done if lowering springs are installed.

Scott
Old 12-13-2006, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you sure of which springs you have? RKsport sells the H&R springs and they sell the pro kit and sportlines. If you have a 2 inch drop I would guess you have the sportlines which quite frankly is too soft to handle well. This is an educated guess and I'm not trying to bash what you have, just trying to help.

I would jump for the revalves and the swaybars. I would really advise picking up a set of springs from him too. He recently started having some made to his specs. Your not going to be racing or trying to get every bit you can out of the car and the revalves will make you very happy. You'll be shocked at the difference a good set of shocks/springs/ swaybars makes. There's no point having adjustment in the shocks if your not going to be taking advantage of it. Very rarely does a pleasure vehicle get tweaked for every little bit.

You will be happier with a setup that works well together than an adj shock trying to make up for deficiencies everywhere else.

Figure about 1200 for swaybars springs and revalves. Might want to check out this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/619865-pics-strano-springs-action-56k-beware.html

Last edited by v7guy; 12-13-2006 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-13-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v7guy
. Your not going to be racing or trying to get every bit you can out of the car and the revalves will make you very happy. You'll be shocked at the difference a good set of shocks/springs/ swaybars makes. There's no point having adjustment in the shocks if your not going to be taking advantage of it. Very rarely does a pleasure vehicle get tweaked for every little bit.

You will be happier with a setup that works well together than an adj shock trying to make up for deficiencies everywhere else.

Figure about 1200 for swaybars springs and revalves. Might want to check out this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=619865
thanks for the help you post is exactly how i feel i much rather have non adj shocks, cuse like you said its a pleasure car. as far as the springs go i bought the car with them in it so im not reall sure exactly sure what they are all i can say is that they are black and they say RK sport on them in white writing. im not sure if its a 2 inch drop but it pretty low if i could resize my pics id show you my car. thanks for the help v7 guy can some one resize pic's for me?
Old 12-25-2006, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go ahead and splurge a little bit and get springs, revalves and swaybars. I know it's a chunk of money up front, but you need to consider that this will last you a decade at least and the handling will put to shame what you currently have. If need be, save up for another month or two. You will not be sorry.

I have photoshop and could resize the pics for you, but I have no way of hosting them.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys, i have already talked to sam and he recommened the konis so thats what it will be. i have one other question, if i get sam's bars and by chance i switch to a aftermarket rear 9in or 12 bolt, how will these bars mount up? all the bmr kit mounts up to is a 21mm bar not a 22 what would i have to do then??

Quick Reply: strano revalves + strano bars or koni sa?