Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

stock ride height springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock ride height springs

It is time for new springs and struts for my 85K miles 99 Camaro Z-28. I went on several of the sponsors web sites TR, TSP, Speed Inc. I can not seem to find a performance minded stock ride height spring. If I want a better spring do I HAVE to drop my car an inch?
I may start another thread after doing a search but does any one have experience with the KYB AGX adjustable shock? I'd like to be able to soften up the shock and put a V-6 spring in the rear at the dragstrip and swap back to a more corning minded shock when I get home, I was wondering if these shocks would be capable of that type of duty.
Thanks in advance
AJ
Old 12-21-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Simple answer: Yes.

Reason: Shorter springs have to have a higher rate to hold the car up.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

you're not going to find what you want from many of these sponsors. they sell pre-packaged, big name one size fits all springs. I dont know for sure, but you should be able to get springs in the apropriate dimensions from a chassis fabrication supplier in whatever linear rates you like. And the KYB's would be ok for drag racing. I really dont know if they'd offer you any improvements over stock for drag racing.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Junkie

im lookin for the same thing. i cannot afford to lower my car with these louisiana roads. Strano might have an idea of where u can look, he seems to be the suspension guru
Old 12-21-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

I really can't afford to lower my car. I live in the north east and this is my only car. I also go to school at UNCC and speed bumps are just a part of driving. I looked in the lowering results sticky and will probably go with the minimum drop possible, 1 inch. I may just go for a set of cheapo drag shocks in the rear with a V-6 spring, just because the back is very easy for me to change and it is not terribly expensive. I can't really afford to have some custom one off springs made for my car. $220 is the most I want to spend on them.

Thanks for all the help and replies
AJ
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 AM
TECH Regular

the closest to stock would be BMR springs.V-6 springs will ride worse because they are designed for a lighter car.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

What makes you think the stock springs can't perform? Worry about the shocks instead, and if you want more handling then you can upgrade to some appropriate swaybars too. Trust me, a car with Koni's and a set of my bars on it will outhandle most anything. And by that I mean just be easy to drive fast, and be really stable, but not kill your kidney's.

Control motion and roll and pitch rate with shocks, body roll with bars which are more effective at it than are spring anyway. No downside on the ride like with springs, and if you aren't lowering the car anyway then you already have lost the Cg drop.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you may want to try some 1LE springs, they are stiffer and good for handling. They will not lower your car at all. You can get em used fairly cheap these days.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not talking about custom springs, i'm talking about generic springs. like AFCO Racing Products. They make car springs in dozens of different sizes and about a million different rates. Im not sure on what dimensions you need but the fronts are probably either 5.5 or 5 inch by however many inches and the rears are a standard GM pigtail. and they cost like 50 bucks each.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alex L.
1LE springs
are they 1LE shocks different from the regular ones? and how can u tell on both of these items through pictures? id be very interested in buying some of these
Old 12-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think 1LE SHOCKS are different then stock. Though some fbodies came with bilsten shocks.

1LE SPRINGS came on certain models of f-bodies. Here is the info on the springs.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html

They look different then normal springs. They are made by GM. They have a specific part number which someone here may be able to post for you. If not, tomorrow I can dig around in the garage and see if I can find em so I can give you the part number.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some 1LE's came with koni's

Quick Reply: stock ride height springs