Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SAs with softer front springs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Koni SAs with softer front springs?

So I've asked this before in a couple threads and never really got an answer. I currently have Koni SAs (on full soft) with stock springs (stock ride height) and I love the setup...just so you are clear on that. Oh, and I know next to nothing about how suspension works, hence my dilemma.

This is my daily driver (except in bad weather), and I plan to drag race some once I get a new 9" rear end.

So what I am wondering is, what exactly would a softer front spring do? Would this help with weight transfer at all? Can I even get softer front springs at the stock ride height?

The reason I ask is because I love the setup, but I am always looking to improve. If softer springs could help with weight transfer by allowing the Koni's to go even softer for the strip (and I could stiffen them on the street if needed), and if they are available, I would totally consider trying them out.

Am I onto something here or just blowing smoke?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you want better weight transfer, you would want softer rear springs... but if you already have stock rear springs then thats really as soft as you should go.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
if you want better weight transfer, you would want softer rear springs... but if you already have stock rear springs then thats really as soft as you should go.
Ok thanks, now what would softer front springs do? I'm just curious...
Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by matts22
Ok thanks, now what would softer front springs do? I'm just curious...
You'd get less weight transfer to the back. Turn down the rebound damping all the way in the front, and turn it up all the way in the back (only at the strip)i
Old 12-31-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dohc
You'd get less weight transfer to the back. Turn down the rebound damping all the way in the front, and turn it up all the way in the back (only at the strip)i
I'm obviously clueless...does this mean to turn the rears all the way clockwise (they are the complete opposite now) and the fronts all the way soft (where they are now)?
Old 12-31-2006, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'm obviously clueless...does this mean to turn the rears all the way clockwise (they are the complete opposite now) and the fronts all the way soft (where they are now)?
Pretty much. But only at the race track. Get stiffer front springs as well, should help at the strip and with understeer.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

too much work plus u love ur springs now...just worry about how stiff the shock it. I have the SAs but I have not messed with the setting at work. I don't have stock springs, I have Hotchkis. Leave ur front shocks where they are but mess around with the back...turned all the way up might be too much...depends on the car, tire and track surface. u've gotta dial it in for u.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I say I love my stock springs...but I've never had anything else.

I'll mess with the rear settings in the mean time, but what are my options for stock ride height, stiffer front springs? And how much difference could this make on the street (ride quality) and at the strip (weight transfer)?

The only ones I have seen are the 1LE, and they are hard to find. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are aftermarket springs u can buy for the strip but u won't need them...u wouldn't like them. just adjust ur rear shocks soft, stock springs work good for racing and street.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
there are aftermarket springs u can buy for the strip but u won't need them...u wouldn't like them. just adjust ur rear shocks soft, stock springs work good for racing and street.
Just curious, but why would I not like them? What exactly will they do to the car?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

too soft, wouldn't handle as well
Old 12-31-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Screamin_Z
too soft, wouldn't handle as well
Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were talking about stiffer front springs like the 1LE...are you talking about these or something like drag springs?
Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Wait, I'm confused...I thought we were talking about stiffer front springs like the 1LE...are you talking about these or something like drag springs?
He's talking about the rear springs. Drag springs for the back are way soft.

Quick Reply: Koni SAs with softer front springs?