Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Need advice on new rear shocks and springs all around

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 05:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 442 Likes on 353 Posts

Default Need advice on new rear shocks and springs all around

I have absolutely no clue what shocks to buy for my car. '98 Formula M6. I've had quite a bit of wheel hop even after installing LCA's and relocation brackets, so my next step is shocks. I have an Alston adjustable torque arm waiting to be installed as well, not that it matters as to what shock choice. I also plan on installing 1" drop springs. Who makes a good set of drop springs that would still be decent for drag racing? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

talk to Sam Strano, check out his page, stranoparts.com. you can talk to him directly, when he has the time. hes going through some family troubles now. hes more into road racing then drag, but im sure he'll still lead you into the right direction. take a look at spohn, i believe they have stuff for both drag and road race.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Anyone have any actual experience with shocks and springs? I'd really like some firsthand experiences with them to make my decision.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Unless your going to start doing wheelies and seriously competing in drag on huge slicks, I'd get a set of Strano Performance lowering springs and some koni sa's all around.

I was happy with just the koni shock upgrade for a while though, and I autoxed and raced on stock springs and they worked great.

EDIT: BTW, that would be for front and rear. I noticed the title says rear upgrades. You wouldn't want to upgrade the rear only.

Last edited by z28bryan; 12-28-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
Anyone have any actual experience with shocks and springs? I'd really like some firsthand experiences with them to make my decision.
Perhaps a search of this forum would come up with a nice bit of information? But, to save you some time it's gonna come back with Koni SA's as being the favorite here.

Jon
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
12 Second Club

My fronts are in perfect shape, so I don't plan on replacing them yet. I just know my rears are shot because of all the wheelhop. Another problem I have to deal with is having 17" AR Rebels on my car. They have quite a bit more offset than most Firebird wheels so I can't drop too low or I'll rub.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you do Koni rears, you'll quickly wish for the matching fronts, at least that's my guess.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Yep. Front's AND rears.

Jon
Old 12-29-2006, 11:44 AM
12 Second Club

This is a limited budget car. I can't spend $800 on a set of shocks. Any other options?
Old 12-29-2006, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

You get what you pay for. If you have to pay less than 800, then I'd preferably go with stock springs and Bilstein HD rears. If I could wait a little longer and get the good setup, I'd no question get konis.

You could also do Bilstien revalves actually if your getting different springs. Just have them set up to dampen whatever springs you go with. The shitty part is if you don't want those springs in the future, you will be stuck with shocks that are dampened for your old springs
Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

Who makes some good springs with about an inch drop that offer a similar ride to stock? I don't do anything involving cornering really, just trips to the dragstrip. I'd like something that transfers weight well.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, I was you this morning. Then I talked to Sam Strano and I just want to tell you that you are looking at it the same way I was, which is wrong. The shock is a spring dampener. That is what gives you the "stock ride" you are looking for and it will be actually be better from what I have heard and read. The spring is mainly more of a tool to lower your car although you can definitely get into different spring rates then.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

See, you're catching on already SStolen!

LS1Formulation. You can't have it both ways. You lower the car for handling, not for weight transfer. SS is correct, the shocks are springs dampers (not dampener, they don't make anything wet--unless they are broken). When you change springs, you better have a shock that can deal with that spring correctly or you will either hate driving your car, or you won't because you're not up on what a good driving car feels like in which case I don't want to be around....

This is the suspension folks. Proper shocks for the springs do as much to control the car in a straight line, like the big end of the drag strip or the interstate as they do on twisty roads. And like I told SStolen, I don't buy anyone here drives like Grandma. Not to embarrass him, but he told me that--promptly after telling my about his LS1 being turbocharged. Yeah that's what we buy these cars for, sure. I've NEVER seen anyone drive these things like you'd drive a Prius. Sorry.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 01-11-2007, 01:16 PM
12 Second Club

Well, until I can afford to actually buy a complete suspension setup, removing the rear isolators and cutting 3/4 of a coil out of the front springs will have to work for me. I don't think I would want to go any lower than that anyway, due to my wheels having the offset they do. I know it's not what is BEST for the car, but I'm having to split my money up between modding this car AND my Mustang. That gets to be a bit expensive.

Quick Reply: Need advice on new rear shocks and springs all around