Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I want the z28 to feel planted on the ground.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default I want the z28 to feel planted on the ground.

When I was being mischievous driving the Z 130+ mph, the car felt like it was floating on air. I didn't like that feeling, last time I felt that way in a car was when I had my former DD Chevy Corsica do 120+ MPH.

How can I get rid of the floating feeling at high speed? stiffer springs/better shocks? LCAs? adjustable PHB? A wing?
Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a suspension guru and would strongly recommend to look around here (this topic has been discussed in the past) or talk to someone like Mr. Strano, but because this "floating" was my biggest problem too, I just want to share my experience.

I changed a few things: LCA's, PHB (both poly/rod-style), SFC's and a STB... but the improvement was only marginal... Finally I bought the Bilstein Tuned Suspension Kit (BTS). I decided to use only the Bilstein-shocks together with the stock springs... (Did this because of some useful hints from very experienced users here, one of them is mentioned above).

From the moment, the bilsteins were on the car... The "floating ship"-feeling was history!

Please don't get me wrong... I'm not able to say, that is the best solution at all or for you. It just worked for me...!

I think quality shocks, matching your springs, is the most important factor!
That's the lesson, I had to learn....

Holger
Old 12-28-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey My DD corscia tops out at 111 or something dang it...its a 95 model.

Anyway you need some good shocks, Konir or revavles and good speed rated sticky tires. And I have "heard" at those speeds you will be just fine

Be safe. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

For the 130+ mph street racing hero, I recommend:

-one of those huge functional f&f wings
-better aerodynamic body kit (not sure which ones work better)
-koni single adjustable shocks
Old 12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silver99Z28
I'm not a suspension guru and would strongly recommend to look around here (this topic has been discussed in the past) or talk to someone like Mr. Strano, but because this "floating" was my biggest problem too, I just want to share my experience.

I changed a few things: LCA's, PHB (both poly/rod-style), SFC's and a STB... but the improvement was only marginal... Finally I bought the Bilstein Tuned Suspension Kit (BTS). I decided to use only the Bilstein-shocks together with the stock springs... (Did this because of some useful hints from very experienced users here, one of them is mentioned above).

From the moment, the bilsteins were on the car... The "floating ship"-feeling was history!

Please don't get me wrong... I'm not able to say, that is the best solution at all or for you. It just worked for me...!

I think quality shocks, matching your springs, is the most important factor!
That's the lesson, I had to learn....

Holger
Quality shocks man, you hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Trunion King

So revalve bilsteins from strano or set of s/a konis would eliminate it? Thanks for the input.