Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear swaybar installation question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rear swaybar installation question

ok, in the instructions that came with my sway bar kit, it says to jack the car up by the body to do the installation of the rear sway bar, but in the installuniversity instructions, it said that they initially were just going to use rhino ramps, and only changed because they could get better pictures with the tires removed.

will it hurt anything to just use the rhino ramps, or should i jack it up by the body and put it on jack stands? does it really make any difference?
Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Either way will be fine but i jacked my car up because it's lowered and just needed more room.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd back the car up on ramps, lift it a bit by the rear axle, put jack stands under the rear frame rails, remove the rear tires then change the bar. I put a bit of silicon grease on the poly bushing, not only on the bar but also the bar ends.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The rhino ramp installation is fine. The biggest thing we recommend is to have the suspension at ride height when you tighten down the end links this will help prevent binding on the bushings.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't be alarmed if you break your stock endlinks. All of my stock endlink nuts were rusted to the bolt. Taking the wheels off will make it a lot easier to access the endlinks. I was a noob when I changed mine 4 years ago and I had no room to remove the rear left endlink and had to cut it with a hacksaw.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.
The rhino ramp installation is fine. The biggest thing we recommend is to have the suspension at ride height when you tighten down the end links this will help prevent binding on the bushings.
As Lee said, tightening it down a ride height is important. It often will elminate some of those annoying squeaks that you can get if you tighten it with the axle hanging.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BMR Fabrication Inc.

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302
Originally Posted by trackbird
As Lee said, tightening it down a ride height is important. It often will elminate some of those annoying squeaks that you can get if you tighten it with the axle hanging.

cool, thanks guys....that's what i was looking for. plus, i think it will be less hassle using the ramps anyway....won't have to remove the wheels, which is kinda what i wanted to avoid doing, assuming it didn't cause problems.

i'm assuming the same holds true for the front swaybar also, right? cause that's how i did it on the front....
Old 01-13-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, same thing on the front.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird

Would it be the same as ride height if once you replaced the swaybar you brace (under load) the rear axle on jack stands so you could still access them to tighten up?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:08 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by tomz240
Would it be the same as ride height if once you replaced the swaybar you brace (under load) the rear axle on jack stands so you could still access them to tighten up?
That would work also...

Lee Spicher
lee@bmrfabrication.com
(813)986-9302