Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strange feeling after front suspension work

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strange feeling after front suspension work

Put on some poly sway bar bushings and end links earlier this week, and finally got to drive the car today. For some reason, the front end now seems to "twitch" across the road, and it's got a strange feeling, almost like the body is swaying around. Not sure what's causing it - all the bolts were tightened to spec, everything went back in ok. Only thing I noticed were that the metal spacers on the end links were noticeably longer on the aftermarket endlinks (Prothane) compared to the stockers, but everything bolted down fine.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

A couple of things can be going on. The harder bushings take the slop out of the bar hooking both sides together. A problem on one side will be magnified. You need to make sure you are not preloading the sway bar with the new end links. If that is ok you may need an alignment. Tighter suspensions are twitchier if everything is not dead on.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

How would I be preloading the sway bar with the end links? The longer spacers? I tightened the sway bar bushing brackets first, then the end links, both to 17 ft-lbs. I didn't have to force the sway bar onto the end links either, as they pretty much sat right where they needed to.

I wll be getting an alignment as soon as I install my shocks and springs (probably 1-2 weeks), so hopefully that allevaites some of the problem.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you destroy your original end links? If not maybe swap them back on to see if it eliminates the probs.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by subtlez28
Did you destroy your original end links? If not maybe swap them back on to see if it eliminates the probs.
No, but 4 of the bushings were worn down to being flat discs about 3/16" thick, and one of the original end link bolts was severely bent at the threads.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to bump this since I'm curious about excessively preloading the sway bar with the links. How tight are you really supposed to make them? I put in Energy Suspension links and it said to tighten the nut until the bushings start to bulge. However one will bulge first while the lower ones won't. I had to go a little further. Anyone have insight on this install?

Quick Reply: Strange feeling after front suspension work