Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)

This maybe be a stupid question that has already been answered, but i was wondering what would be the best shock/spring combo out there. I know everybody has their own opinions. I was thinking about going with the Bilstein BTS package. What do you guys think about those, and what else would i need to help with performance and ridability as far as shock and spring wise like bushings on anything like that. Thanks
Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Launching!

Here's a thread you might want to read. Link
Old 03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gollum
Here's a quote from the new Chevy High Performance Magazine:

Very few race cars run variable-rate springs yet marketing efforts have convinced the public that they are a superior overall setup. "A properly tuned linear-rate spring with properly valved shocks can ride and handle better than a variable-rate spring," says Kyle. "A strait-rate spring is consistant thrughout the vehicle's suspension travel. With a variable-rate spring, the shock valving must account for wide range of spring rate, which yields compromised ride quality and handling performance. Un quote.

Here's a spring chart listing what is variable and non variable (linear). By the way, Sam Stranos custom springs are not listed here but they are a fixed rate, non variable, linear spring. Sam knows his stuff.
http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/suspension.html
A good fixed rate spring (Edelbrock or Stranos) with Koni SA or revalved Strano shocks looks promising.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

would you guys agree on the Hotchkis springs with 1" drop?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 87 Posts

You have to stop for a minute.... I think you think your crooked height is all due to the springs. MAKE SURE before you buy more. Swap the springs side to side (I think I told you this on the phone). If nothing changes, then other springs won't cure it either.

And if you didn't get it from talking to me the other day, this isn't easy, and the worst thing you can do is simple just get random opinions from a forum. There are times we use Hotchkis, and many times we don't. And the shocks have to be taken into consideration as a pacakge with the springs, but also how you drive the car.....

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

yes Sam i talked to you on the phone the other day. I am just getting suggestions and seeing what people think. Sometime in the near future i am going to replace all springs and shocks...again....i just want the best quality ride with the best look, probably the same thing everybody else wants. I am going to switch those springs first thing this weekend.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I understand all that. What you need to understand is that this is a public forum. And for many, many things--it's great. They are also great @ getting you a lot of half-assed opinions backed up with little or no fact.

Assuming sane springs, not slammed ones like you have now, or ballistically stiff ones like some are, the ride has much more to do with the shocks than the springs. But any lowering spring by definition is gives you LESS travel, and has MORE spring rate. Neither exactly the best for ride over all else.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-07-2007, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

I understand totally Sam, but if this was your car, what would you do and put on it?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not you, and I don't think we are looking for the same things from a car exactly. I'm more about the handling than the looks and I'll spend money on suspension. I have Koni's on my car, and I made my own lowering springs (that many here now have) because I wasn't 100% satisfied with the rest out there for what I wanted.

I'd have to say either Revalved Bilstein's or Koni on shocks since shocks make the car. And for springs. Mine, Hotchkis, LT1 Pro-kit, LS1 Pro-kits are all possibles. They all differ in detail like height, performance, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

I will try and get some pics here in the next day or two, so you guys can literally see where i am at.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Staging Lane

Well, if your looking for opinions, I have the Bilsteins HD with LG springs; I would consider this a fairly stiff set up. Don't remember the spring rates.

Handles great however, hurts your 60ft. time in the 1/4 (don't get any quat in the rear for weight transfer).
Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I still like my ground control and koni DJ shocks. Many on here will tell u it is to hard to install. It took some time and and thinking but it is well worth in MHO. You can pick the rate and adjust the ride hight. Best of all worlds.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
I still like my ground control and koni DJ shocks. Many on here will tell u it is to hard to install. It took some time and and thinking but it is well worth in MHO. You can pick the rate and adjust the ride hight. Best of all worlds.
where would i be able to pick up a set of those, and about how much would they cost? Are they stiff and good for cornering and launching?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Only about $1600 a set. Not to mention DA's are overkill, and he's running Pro-kit rates. And GC's void the warranty on front Koni's. Or there is the fact I own DA's and *do not run them on a multi-time National championship winning car*.

Can you adjust height? Yep, sure can. A lot of work considering you can also run it too low. I designed my springs to mimic what I run on my car with coil-overs, but without the cost of warranty issues.

And FWIW, cornering and launching are completely opposite things, you are going to have to pick one.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

One thing Sam and I agree on is "cornering and launching are completely opposite things, you are going to have to pick one."

You can get the ground control set up the WS6store ---->(sponser) for 360$ all the way around. This is for springs and adjustable mounts. U still need the shocks. U will have to know what spring rate u want. I do not feel it voids the koni the warranty if dont right. As always if ur a hack I am sure u can. And I like my DAs. They work good for me. I got a good deal on them on EBAY. Is may set for everyone maybe not but I think it is the best of the best.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm a Koni dealer, you aren't. When you install the sleeve on the Koni, it is very obvious because it damages the paint, which is not something they'd ignore if you have warranty issues. You are putting on something they did not intend to be installed and you leave evidence of it. So fool yourself, that's fine. But why you continually insist on giving this blather to unsuspecting others, I don't know.

And I think it's pretty clear his not in a position to be picking spring rates, which I think Justin would agree with..

Sure, you can do that if you like. You can overspend and overkill for a street car is you like, and if that's what flips your switch that's cool.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Ya i am not sure about the whole spring rate thing and what they all mean and what set up is best for what...hence the reason i started this thread. I assume that the higher the spring rate the stiffer the springs and lower rate the softer the springs. I basically want a good sporty look i hate the big gap between the finder and the wheel with stock springs, so thats why i got the eibach sportlines....bad decision from what i am told. I also replaced the stock worn out shocks with bilstein HDs...another bad choice from what i am told. I dont do alot of raod racing, and i take it to the track maybe 5 times a year. So basically just a nice look with good ride comfort and performance when i need it. Maybe the adjustable shocks would be good, because then i could adjust them for the conditions, but i know i cant get adjustable springs.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm going to be pretty blunt here, just so we all know where we stand. When you say things like "good sporty look", that's not really anything helpful. Some guys have to have a 2" drop, some a 3/4" drop is fine. What's a "big gap"? That varies. Have you looked at all the pics of other cars with other springs to try and get a feel for what you might find attractive? If you do, then we can discuss whether or not they are functional for ride and handling. Really there only about 4 spring sets I consider good. Each has different qualities. But the underlying factor with all of them is they aren't god awfully low or use insanely high spring rates.

Unfortunately what you are describing is just way too vague. Everyone wants generic things like good ride comfort and performance. Details matter. You can't walk into your doctor and say "I want medicene" when you can't tell them what wrong. They won't give it to you..... they woudln't know *what* to give to you.

Parts are medicene for your car. They fit issues. If you can tell me what you don't like about the way the car drives, we can prescribe some certain to work changes. Here you already basically took the wrong meds (the shocks and springs on now) and clearly the result wasn't good. We don't want to do that twice.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Sam the title of the thread is "best shock spring". Maybe I miss what the best is. I talked to Koni tech line and they said "If you dont modify the shocks the will warranty. They did not say anything about paint.

Brien

Do u want ur car to:
1. Handle on the road
2. Drag race
3. Look Kool

It will do one well. Pick it then make it happen. You can have one and only one. I think if you go much more then 1 drop it is to far. Mine is 3/4. IMO more than that is to much.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

i know "nice sporty look" didnt really get us anywhere. I like an aggressive look, minimal gaps between tires and fenders, like maybe 2" gap in the rear with the rear of the car sitting a little higher than the front.What i dont like about the ride is obvisouly the loud bumpstop i hit, but the amount of give in the rear when i go through a dip, it really compresses the rear of the car a lot more than the front. The body roll is a little much too when going through a corner at descent speed. I mean dont get me wrong it handles pretty well and can take corners at high speeds, but the roll is a little much. I have been looking on ebay and foung some KYB AGX shocks and springs that are being sold as a package. The shocks are adjustable, but i am not sure about the springs. They are vogtland springs, and i dont know much about them but here is the link to the auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-A...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Best shock/springs??? (Bilstein BTS?)