Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Koni SA's and DA's ... few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni SA's and DA's ... few questions.

normally I'd up and call Sam but I want to know things from different views and I'm sure this can be a learning experience.

First and Foremost...
The SA 4/3 Combination is very popular, and the SA 4/4 seems to be slightly more popular, however...

What are the benefits of picking the 4/4 over the 4/3?
What makes the shocks different? (The way they're adjusted, I assume, but what else is there?)

Now, what I do know about the 4/3 setup is that they're adjustable from under the car... the 4/4 I believe you have to adjust by pulling the rear carpet and giving it a go that way... Am I correct or incorrect about this?

I don't know anything of the valving differences, if any, or why one is more beneficial than the other... for a $140 difference in the two, what makes the 4/4 setup more worth buying than the 4/3

Second, I know NOTHING of the Double Adjustable Koni's... are they beneficial for a daily driver or should they remain more track-oriented ... They're expensive as hell as far as shocks go... what are peoples deciding factors in choosing the DA's over the SA's?

Third.
For those who use SA's and Strano's Springs... what are the variable heights you can use?
This refers to the first question as well, there are 12 sweeps of adjustability in the SA's (quarter turn = 1 sweep IIRC)
1.5" to what? How low exactly can you drop the car with this combination (not that I want to slam it, I want a reasonable height)

I have more questions but am drawing a blank at the moment
Old 03-06-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

I would also like to know more about S/As and strano springs... ttt
Old 03-06-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

4/3 = Koni fourth generation front shock/Koni third generation rear shock

Fronts adjustable on car/The third generation rear shock must be taken off the car to adjust.

4/4 = Koni front and rear fourth generation shocks
Both these front and rear shocks can be adjusted on the vehicle.

Thats why the /4 costs more, on board adjustment.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not as many replies to this as I would have hoped... so... bump
Old 03-07-2007, 04:05 AM
Launching!

The 4/4 SA combo is adjustable without removing the shocks, but the top of the rear shock is under the carpet behind the seat. On the 4/3 combo, you have to unmount the rear shock to adjust it, and it's a less expensive shock. That's the main reason to go with the 3rd gen rear shock - It can save you money if you don't mind having to take it off to adjust it.

SA's or DA's don't allow you to adjust the ride height - They allow you to adjust the damping rate of the shock. With DA's you can adjust both the compression (down) and rebound (up), and typically this is overkill for most street cars. People who use DA's are those who are road racing or autocrossing and want to fine tune every aspect of their suspension. With SA's you're adjusting the rebound, the compression setting is fixed. For the majority of people out there, this is enough adjustability to setup a good handling and nice riding car.

Hope that helps...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jb442

SA's or DA's don't allow you to adjust the ride height
The DA's have only one spring perch and he is correct you cannot adjust the ride height on this shock; however, the SA's have two different perch locations allowing you to lower the ride slightly if you desire.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Launching!

please only use the lower perch on the SA if running factory springs.... save your self a few bucks and go SA.... i have DA ..factory stock on 1le and like the bump to 0 and 8 sweeps up front... which is in effect same as a SA.... the difference between the 4/3 and 4/4 is $$$ the 4/3 is cheaper and harder to adjust while the 4/4 is EZ with a cool **** that you can crank it up by pulling back the rear seat... again if $$$ is an issue the 4/3 is nice... i have the DA and run them full soft out back... both rebound and compression again in effect a SA...