Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs coming, need shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Springs coming, need shocks

ok, I know I need a big drop, so im goin with sportlines. After puttin 18's all around it looks like a 4x4. But dont want to do it without gettin new shocks. I don't want to spend a ton, what do you guys recomend.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:25 AM
TECH Regular

Pleeeease don't get sportlines. You don't need that much drop to look kickass and you will be riding on the bumpstops...which is not good.

Get a good shock. Two nice setups are koni SA's shocks on the lower front perch and hose mod on the rear to lower 3/4". Or get approx. 1.25" lowering springs with a high enough spring rate to keep you from scraping on dips with a revalve Bilstein HD shock matched for the spring rates you choose.

There have been a ton of posts lately about problems with Sportline springs.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the sport lines, the car is very low, havn't found a speed hump i can get over yet without scraping, but ten my exhaust isn't standard, and hope to tuck it up more.

Your 18's are the overall diameter the same as the 17's. I mean do you have a lower profile on the 18's?
lthough mine havn't rubbed the wheel arch, if your 18's (1/2inchs all round bigger) have the same profile tyre then it will rub on the front wheel arches, you should be okay on the rear.

I think I should have brought new shocks, I still got stock on there, had the springs on there for 1 week now. Trying to choose shocks. Bilstean HD shocks have taken my fancy at the moment, and about $350 from a sponser.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 AM
Launching!

I would say Konis are about the only thing that can handle as severe a drop as the sportlines provide. Get ready to scrape everything that is in yor way. The bilstiens will not support a lowered ride. They are for stock height.

Good news though! You won't need to hire a snow plow next time it snows up in St Paul. Just drive down your street and the car plows the way with its airdam!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have eibach lowering springs what about some strange drag shocks?
Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Probably not the strange drag shocks. I would imagine that they aren't designed to work with an uber low spring like the sportlines. I would say your only options are a high end shock like a Koni or some other variant that is directly comparable if you want the ride to be semi-tolerable.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

It's hard to make a recommendation for those springs...

You will ride the bumpstops often with their low stance and low springrates no matter what shock you put in, which will always be a rough ride for you.

Another option people are doing which I wouldn't ever recommend, is remove your bumpstops or trim them. With this you risk bottoming out the shock which can damage it. I would recommend Koni's but not if your going to go down this road.

Another option would be to get a different set of springs if a slightly higher profile won't kill you. Sportlines have a lower springrate than most lowering springs out there. Doesn't make any sense being the lowest spring and also the lowest springrate. I don't know who came up with that idea.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Most likely Eibach made them a lower spring rate so people didn't complain about a "bad ride quality" with the springs being too stiff. With as low as they are, they would have to have a really high spring rate to even attempt normal driving feel. I feel the sportlines were designed for show and not actual driving. They are good enough to get some one around and to the show, but nothing else really.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Launching!

I have 295 35's rear, 275 35's up front. After puttin on the 18's it increased the gap, so I originally wanted to lower it, but not I need to compensate for the difference. I do plan on gettin headers in a month too, yes yes I know I should be prepared for scrapping, but I tend to stay away from pot holes, dont wanna scratch the wheels.

So it looks like its between the BS HD's or Koni's. Now I know Koni's are typicaly the better of the two, but I really can't spend a lot on shocks now. Any other opinions on the BS HD's for supporting sportlines? P.S., my bumpstops are cut out.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

find Sam...he's the man...
Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Launching!

ok, so if I decide to go with the prokit, what shocks could I get away with? Would HD's work? Revalved? what?