Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Last Question...Use Caliper paint in the can...or spray into Bowl n paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Question...Use Caliper paint in the can...or spray into Bowl n paint?

Basically what the title askes...should i Use Caliper paint in the can and tape everything off....or spray into Bowl n paint it on?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a combination of both when I painted mine. I started by taping everything off and spraying it on. After a few coats, it wasn't covering like I wanted it to, so I sprayed some paint in a bowl and brushed it on. Came out nice!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I taped everything up and sprayed mine with 3 coats of paint and 2 coats of clear. Turned out amazing! Never used a brush.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:50 PM
On the tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with the sprays is that if you dont clean and prep the calipers and then primer them with a zinc chromate primer since the calipers are made out of aluminum thre is no way to say how long the paint will last.

I bought the duplicolor paint kit for mine just today. It was $17 at Oriellys. It comes with the paint, can of caliper cleaner (brake cleaner), stir stick, masking tape, and paint brush.

I did 4 coats on each caliper after taping off the areas I did not want paint. There is still over 3/4ths of the paint left in the can.

The only thing I will say is 1st buy a small cheap paint brush, the one in the kit is junk. Take your time and if you can pull all 4 wheels, if not then do at least two of them. Take the time to use a stainless brush and make sure the calipers are clean.

This is where doing two or four calipers at a time is helpful. Put one coat on th first caliper and then move to the next one and so on. Then once the 1st coats are on go back to the 1st caliper and repeat. Do this until you get 4 or 5 coats on the calipers. As you get the coats on it takes more paint to be able to cover and stay smooth.

Then once doen I cleaned up the garage and that gave the paint time to set. It dries pretty fast and I was able to remove the tape, remount the wheels and pull it out of the garage with 30 minuts of the last coat going on.

With in 2 hours it was completly dry to the touch and most all of the brush strokes had smoothed over and now the calipers look completely covered.

Not bad for $17 and maybe 2 hours of my time.

Quick Reply: Last Question...Use Caliper paint in the can...or spray into Bowl n paint?