Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bone dry brakes system, any special tips on bleeding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 12:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Bone dry brakes system, any special tips on bleeding?

My entire brake 1005 z28 brake system is bone dry. I understand how to bleed brakes starting at the right rear and working toward the front left. I understand to not let the master run dry during the process.

Is there anything else I need to know when doing a complete brake fluid replacement and bleeding? Anything special to do with the master?
Thanks.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're starting to get fluid come out the valve, I like to tap the calipers lightly with a hammer to dislodge any bubbles stuck on the piston and/or lines. This was the only way to get my dad's old corvette bled in the back
Old 03-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

You may need to go to the dealership to have them use a Tech II to pulse/bleed the ABS.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
You may need to go to the dealership to have them use a Tech II to pulse/bleed the ABS.
How much does that usually cost??
Old 03-16-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I replace lines or the entire brake system on a car, I use a mighty vac to get the ball rolling. I still start at the right rear. Make sure the master is full. Pull some vac. on the bleeder valve, then crack it open for a few seconds. Close it off, pull more vac., and repeat. I do this at each wheel until I get fluid coming out.

Then I bleed them the conventional way. Bleeding brakes the conventional way is never failed me. You get a good pressure/rush of fluid through the caliper when you do this, so its usually plenty to pick up any air bubbles or whatever is in the dry caliper.

There is always gravity bleeding too which some people like.

Justin
Old 03-16-2007, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I vote Mighty Vac too!! I love mine.......
Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have mighty vac already.

So just fill the master and start drawing at the right rear? Do you need to address the ABS module first? What about bench bleeding the master?
Old 03-16-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a mighty vac already.

So just fill the master and start drawing at the right rear? Do you need to address the ABS module first? What about bench bleeding the master?
Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...Well you might want to check on the ABS thing. I thought ABS cars got bled in a different order. But that might just be something i heard about other cars...

Otherwise the mighty vac should still work. If its a new master cylinder, or it is really really empty, bench bleeding it is a good idea. Then Ide try the mighty vac. You fill the master, and put the hose from the vac on the bleeder valve. Make sure you have the little container that comes with the mighty vac for the fluid to go into. With the bleeder valve CLOSED, pull a vacuum, then crack the bleeder screw. It only has to be open for a second or two. Close it back up, pull more vac, and do it again.

Im pretty sure that it will pull fluid through the abs block, and once you start pedal bleeding, it should take care of it. You might have to bleed all the wheels a few extra times, just to be sure you are getting the bubbles out of the abs block as well.

Someone that has bled the ABS system might chime in and give you a different procedure. I dont have ABS on my 87...I just ran everything right off the master.

Justin
Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 144 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Yahelou
How much does that usually cost??
I don't know.
I haven't had to do it yet.

Quick Reply: Bone dry brakes system, any special tips on bleeding?