Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA bolts, idea and gonna do a write-up.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LCA bolts, idea and gonna do a write-up.

Hey guys, I've got a nice little clunking coming from the rear suspension, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that my LCA bolts are either loose or have wallowed out the holes.

As some of you know, the stock bolt is 12mm, and some aftermarket inserts are 1/2", which of course would lead to slop. I'm going to check and see if the inserts will accept a 1/2 inch bolt, and if they do, I'm going to install some new Grade 8 1/2"x4" bolts in place of the stockers.

A little background on the problem: It didn't really start until I added the Jegster torque arm to my suspension setup, and I always just assumed that it was the TA, never thinking that it could be anything else in the suspension. After doing some research, it seems to be the consensus that adding a body mount TA increases the forces that the LCAs see. I think that this has either made the slack in the inserts evident, or allowed the bolts to wallow out the holes. The noise has gotten worse over time, and I see no way that the TA alone could be doing it anymore.

The LCAs are BMR tubular poly/poly for anyone who would like to know.

Ele-Blue95 and I are going to check everything out in the rear suspension/replace the bolts this Sunday morning. We'll take plenty of pictures, and post up a write-up if it's necessary to replace the bolts.

Just wanted you guys' feedback on this, ideas or things that you'd like to see.
Old 03-30-2007, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

No opinions or interest in this? I thought a lot of people were having clunking problems.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

UPDATE: Found that there WAS slack in the bolts, between the stock bolt and the insert. I had to drill out the factory bolt holes, and couldn't find any good solution to get them wallowed out. I managed to rig something up and get the passenger side done. There is NO slack between the bolt and insert now. Torqued both sides down to 90 ft/lbs, and took her for a ride.

About 75% of the clunking/bumping that I was getting is gone now, replaced with a much nicer ride, and it's firm when I hit bumps, more like a sports car than a POS. Also noticed that a fair amount of the vibration that I've been getting at higher speeds is gone.

I'll finally do the write up when I get around to doing the driver's side this weekend. We couldn't take pics since it started raining shortly after we started, and we were outside.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the holes drilled out more easily? Uni-bit and a very small right angle drive?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to drill mine out on my 3rd gen for the rod-ends which are 1/2" and couldn't think of a viable solution either to drill them out easily since the rocker panels hang lower than the bolt hole locations and the other rail is on the inner side. I might have to pick up a right angle drive and uni-bit to do it, that was what I was thinking as well. No other idea on how to get it done. Suggestions welcome!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUBT IT
UPDATE: Found that there WAS slack in the bolts, between the stock bolt and the insert. I had to drill out the factory bolt holes, and couldn't find any good solution to get them wallowed out. I managed to rig something up and get the passenger side done. There is NO slack between the bolt and insert now. Torqued both sides down to 90 ft/lbs, and took her for a ride.

About 75% of the clunking/bumping that I was getting is gone now, replaced with a much nicer ride, and it's firm when I hit bumps, more like a sports car than a POS. Also noticed that a fair amount of the vibration that I've been getting at higher speeds is gone.

I'll finally do the write up when I get around to doing the driver's side this weekend. We couldn't take pics since it started raining shortly after we started, and we were outside.

Anyone got any ideas on how to get the holes drilled out more easily? Uni-bit and a very small right angle drive?
So what do you suggest i do? i have Spohn LCA's a and PH Rod im trying to install and noticed the holes were larger on the LCA's than the factory bolt. Some have told me to reuse the factory bolt. Is that what you did, or did you go the Grade 8 4" x 1/2" bolt route? Whas is this 'slack' you speak of? Is it a hole, or a gap?

i could really use a response before friday when i put them on. the stockers are already out...
Old 04-03-2007, 10:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you seeing wallowing on the body end, axle end, or both?

I have severe clunking too, just curious on your findings.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put new poly bushings in my stock control arms and upgraded to 1/2" grade 8 bolts. What I used was a 1/4" die grinder with a carbide bit on the end and took my time checking the size pretty often. Worked out pretty well. Plus it's nice to use some SAE bolts instead of metric.

Buddy
Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

I didn't reuse the stock bolt. No evidence of the holes in either the body or the axle becoming oval-shaped. They both still looked nice and round.

The slack that I'm talking about comes from the factory bolt being a 12mm, and the insert through the poly bushings being a 1/2 I.D. so naturally there's a good bit of play. It was alot more than I thought it'd be.

The two bolts that I put back in on the side that I fixed were Grade 8 and 1/2"x4". I used flat washers, a lock washer, and of course a nut on each bolt. There was NO slack in the LCA's anymore, even with the bolts just finger-tight.

I'm going to figure something out to drill out the holes on the driver's side before this upcoming Sunday. I hope to be able to do something, and not get caught up having to go to Easter with everyone.

When I figure out a better solution to drill out the holes, I promise you guys that I'll get the other side done and do a write up with many pics.