Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another Strano Spring before/after thread

Yet another before/after photo of Strano springs

before:

after:

I didn't realize how high the front sits. I actually prefer the look of the high stance, but it's a performance car so looks is a lower priority
Old 04-01-2007, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

looks good man..I cant wait till my revalves come in, what shocks did you go with??
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I actually prefer the look of the high stance

Looks MUCH better now.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Koni SA's I've had in for the past 2 years. I predicted I'd go with springs someday so I chose the appropriate shock for that case.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Intimidator SS

Looks MUCH better now.
I've always liked the look of stock height. Lowering the car aimlessly can look pretty ghetto in my opinion. It's a performance car though, its not for looks.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've always liked the look of stock height. Lowering the car aimlessly can look pretty ghetto in my opinion. It's a performance car though, its not for looks.
What does lowering a car do for performance? Is'nt it an appearance mod - aka, looks?
Old 04-01-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RevGTO
What does lowering a car do for performance? Is'nt it an appearance mod - aka, looks?
I think he got the Strano springs in order to have better spring rates to make the car handle better. Not everyone gets springs for the looks .
Old 04-01-2007, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I can't explain the physics behind it because I'm not really an expert on why a lower center of gravity helps compared to the stock height. Raising or lowering the car affects its performance.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

its the people who take their stock springs and cut them that do it for looks. when you buy properly tuned parts its for functionality first
Old 04-01-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It lowers the cars center of gravity resulting in quicker cornering on smooth road coarse tracks. A lowered car also has less wind drag.

But driving a lowered car on rough public roads (curbs, road kill, speed breakers, rocks, etc) can be a real pain.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by gollum
It lowers the cars center of gravity resulting in quicker cornering on smooth road coarse tracks. A lowered car also has less wind drag.

But driving a lowered car on rough public roads (curbs, road kill, speed breakers, rocks, etc) can be a real pain.
Precisely my point. "Performance" and "better handling" can mean different things in different contexts: dragstrip, autox, potholed country roads. There are situations where maximum suspension travel is going to aid "performance."

IMO, the vast majority of people who lower their cars do it for looks, and I agree it does look better. Hence the puzzling statement to the contrary by the OP.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Precisely my point. "Performance" and "better handling" can mean different things in different contexts: dragstrip, autox, potholed country roads. There are situations where maximum suspension travel is going to aid "performance."

IMO, the vast majority of people who lower their cars do it for looks, and I agree it does look better. Hence the puzzling statement to the contrary by the OP.

Touche
Old 04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

I kind of like the stock height on that car but it looks good lowere too.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah, these springs help "Preformance" not "Performance"
Old 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah, these springs help "Preformance" not "Performance"

I don't get it. "Performance" is the correct spelling...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Performance was mis-printed on that original run of springs. Apparently German's can't spell English words very well (or at least the one responsible for the printing).

And as far as driving a lowered car on the street being a pain. Can be, but not generally a problem is the correct parts are used. Saying something so general is like saying all tires are the same because they are black and round.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 04-03-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I can back up what sam said from personal experience. Typically a large portion of peoples problems with the moderate drops they have are related to springs that are way too soft and shocks that cannot control the new spring they have chosen. If your shocks/springs are chosen well you will not be bouncing down the road after hitting a bump. The cars body won't even dip appreciably during driving and hitting the bumps... if a proper suspension is used.

I'm alot lower than the typical 1 1/2 inches many people do and I still don't have any problems with the vast majority of driving. I keep in mind I'm low and I approach things with that mindset. If you are lowered only an inch and a half or so and have the proper suspension under the car the only thing you'll really have to worry about is sudden steep inclines and and the really big speed bumps.

FWIW there are quite a few cars that run Sams setup (that is meant for handling) and they are still pulling 1.7/ 1.8 60fts at the strip.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

Looks good! Sounds like his springs are a great performing spring.

Lower car = lower center of gravity = better handling (relatively speaking).

Personally I like the suspension travel afforded to me with the Koni S/A perch and rear hose mod.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie

So far so good. These springs are working pretty damn well with 17x11 zr1's with 315 nitto 555rs mounted. I even drove around with them with no modifications and I couldn't get anything to rub by trying to make the car lean (safely), but obviously it won't be the same as taking an autox sweeper.

I definitely need to readjust the PHB though. The left is about an inch further out of the fender than the right side is.