Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Front Suspension issues...Squeking..very annoying

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year
Default Front Suspension issues...Squeking..very annoying

I just got my 2000 Z28 and I don't know much about cars and have no idea what could be causing this. I know for sure it's in the front and it squeks really bad. It's on the drivers side and every little bump at 0-30 mph it squeks horribly. I got out of the car and pop the hood and pushed down with all my weight on the area of the driver side strut and sure enough it squeked. I guess i don't hear it going over 30mph or so because of the wind and exhaust noise. The car has 99k on it so I'm guessing the suspension is still all stock. I'm thinking of just spraying wd-40 everywhere cuz i have no idea what to do, but i'm sure the front struts and rear shocks need replacing anyways. Anyone know if its the struts...or what?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably a dry bushing. You can go through one by one and spray the bushings down with WD40 and then test drive to figure it out. The WD-40 will burnoff/dryout, so the only permanent fix is to replace the bushing or if its still in good condition, grease it.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

All right thx...i'm gonna spray that stuff everywhere. I also had some rattling going on up there before the squeking started. Almost sounds as if some bolts are loose or something. Could the shocks inside the springs on the front just be worn out? Cuz the springs can't wear out can they?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 AM
Launching!

I wouldent spray WD-40, i used a white lithem(SP) grease. it is a in my op better. it dosent dry out and make it worse. It actually sticks to what you put it on.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the_hunted
I wouldent spray WD-40...
yes and no.

you could use WD-40 as a method to find out where the noise is coming from, but it should not be relied upon as a permanent fix, as WD-40 will evaporate/wash away pretty quickly.

once you find the offending part by spraying it with WD-40, then use the white lithium grease to permanently (well, semi-permanently) grease the bushing, assuming the bushing is not worn out already. if it is, replace the bushing completely, as well as lubricate it with the white lithium grease.

either way, you will want to completely remove the bushing and lubricate the entire inside of it (assuming it does not have a grease fitting built into it)....otherwise, the fix will be a very short one.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Update: a few weeks later the whole shock broke in half. This was last year by the way...this happened with normal driving too. I wasn't hittin potholes or anything
Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now you can buy good shocks if you haven't already. Look into getting a set of Koni's if you have the cash.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by JScamaro
Now you can buy good shocks if you haven't already. Look into getting a set of Koni's if you have the cash.
It broke in half at a small town, i had no choice but to replace the front two. Sucked!...I could of gotten konis for the price they charged me. If i had to do it over again. I would of left the car at my parents try my hardest to replace that shock and get konis later.