Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help! spring compressor wont fit between coils

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! spring compressor wont fit between coils

Went to install my hotchkis springs on the koni sa's and the damn spring compressor hooks wont fit between the coils. I have 2 different ones and neither will work im pissed I needed to get this done tonight. What kind of compresser am I suppose to use and I rather not have to take it somewhere.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpdFrk1990
Went to install my hotchkis springs on the koni sa's and the damn spring compressor hooks wont fit between the coils. I have 2 different ones and neither will work im pissed I needed to get this done tonight. What kind of compresser am I suppose to use and I rather not have to take it somewhere.
Did you try unthreading the compressor hooks from the bolt? I had to do that for my stock springs.

Funny, yoiu and I are doing the same thing with the same springs at the same time. Let me know if your spring cup comes off easy, i'm stuck there.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Dont think that will work cause they will get stuck im pretty sure. Oh im way past getting the cup off im trying to put the hotchkis on.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Restricted User

Dont think that will work cause they will get stuck im pretty sure. Oh im way past getting the cup off im trying to put the hotchkis on.
So your cup just came right off?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

I hit it with the sand blaster a little and let it sit over night with deep creep on it. Then the next day when I went to take it off I used the impact wrench and it came right off not as instant as the driver side but it came off with no problems.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Restricted User

I hit it with the sand blaster a little and let it sit over night with deep creep on it. Then the next day when I went to take it off I used the impact wrench and it came right off not as instant as the driver side but it came off with no problems.
HAHA I find it really funny that everyone keeps telling me "The passenger side was a bit tougher" YEAH I'M WORKING ON THE DRIVERS SIDE!!!!!!! I can't see how anything could be tougher than impossible (and that's where i'm at with the driver's side, so i'm very excited to say the least ).
Old 05-15-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Addict

I just wish someone who has done this with hotchkis springs can chime in and tell me what spring compressor they used. Ive swaped springs on about 4 different cars and never had this problem. If I was closer ide help you out with your swap also man.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

Hmm I dont have hotchkis, but when I put my SLP Eibachs on, I had to hammer the spring compressor on, then pry it off with a prybar. Wasn't fun, but it worked.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I've installed Hotchkis springs, we tried using a Sears spring compressor. We then used a hammer and a couple pry bars to "unscrew" the hooks from the spring once it was installed. We just took the compressor apart and "beat" the hooks out of the spring by unwinding them to the more open part of the spring. After that, we found a shop that will do them "cheap" if we just bring the parts in for them to assemble and they use a wall mounted unit with 3 "fingers" that slide into the coils. It's much safer and easier to pay them a few bucks for it, but that's how we've done it when we had to do it.

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

I guess ill just take it to a shop I just like to do it myself tho that way I make sure everything gets lined up just right.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Teching In

when i installed the back i did not need a spring compressor you should be able change them out i took the front springs and shocks to the shop to do he charge me $200 i was happy with that.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lonala
when i installed the back i did not need a spring compressor you should be able change them out i took the front springs and shocks to the shop to do he charge me $200 i was happy with that.
200 f that lol
Old 05-15-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

LS1Tech 10 Year

200 f that lol
Lol yea that expensive! I rented the part and kept it because it was only 40 bucks. It's really not that difficult.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Launching!

Using a standard spring compressor with the Hotchkis springs can be a challenge, that's for sure. They have about double the amount of coils compared to other springs. Just like Trackbird, I used a Sears spring compressor and had to literally pry the hooks out from between the coils. I did not hammer the hooks around the coils, but it did require the assistance from a friend, and 3-pry bars. I used two small "rolling-head" pry bars to spread the coils then had a friend pry up on the hook, and they actually came out without too much trouble, although the finish was scratched off in a few spots.

An alternative idea I had was to take the stock lower perch off the old DeCarbons, cut it in half and weld on some bracing and the proper nuts on each side for the spring compressor and use that to eliminate the hooks going through the springs on the bottom. In the interest of time, I didn't go that route.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

I went to a local shop this morning and had them pressed in with a wall mount unit for 60 dollars I explained to him how they needed to go and they came out fine im pleased. Better then having to beat the freakin spring compressor on.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went to a local shop this morning and had them pressed in with a wall mount unit for 60 dollars I explained to him how they needed to go and they came out fine im pleased. Better then having to beat the freakin spring compressor on.
That's exactly what we've started doing for those springs. We pay a bit less, but that's the easiest way to handle it.

Quick Reply: Help! spring compressor wont fit between coils