tubular vs boxed SFCs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default tubular vs boxed SFCs

is there any real performance/feel difference between boxed and tubular
SFCs???

they say that the tubular models aren't as torsionally strong but i'm looking for some first hand info

thanx
Old 05-23-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might want to search.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=tubular+boxed

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=tubular+boxed

I'm sure there plenty of more. Most people like the UMI LCA's, but the main question is why are you needing them? What is the primary use of the car.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

well i plan on road racing but it's still going to be a daily driver. i need SFCs for obvious reason but, since the car is lowered, i don't want to lose too much ground clearance
Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does yoru class allow lca's you will want rod ended only for racing. These are not the first thing to change.

Have you done shocks and/or springs. front and rear sway bars,panhard bar? Got to rememember they work as a system.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Teching In

You will need to take a look at a rule book and see what is allowed for the class you are aiming to be in. Shocks, springs, and sways are by far the first things you should do as Coolformula said. An adjustable PHB will probably be needed so you can recenter the rear after you put the lowering springs in. As for LCA's for handling apps. boxed aren't really desirable. They weigh a lot more and offer nothing over tubular for handling. In fact the strength argument doesn't even make any sense because the forces that the boxed design would help with aren't exerted on the LCA's because the torque arm takes that load. Now the biggest thing is what kind of bushings do you want and are you really going to need adjustability? First the bushings. Solid poly is terrible as it binds and can act like a bigger sway bar is on the car. You can tune around this but why? Hard rubber is a good option if you drive on the road a lot and want decent ride quality however the only company that sells hard rubber LCA's is BMR and they are not adjustable. Next is rod ends, though excellent for racing applications they just don't last long enough for lots of road use IMO and are extremely harsh. There are combinations as well but it don't want to get into all that as I'm going to have typed way to much already. The last style of bushing is a 3 piece poly bushing that J&M uses and is a pretty good comprimise like Hard rubber is. The only real problem with the 3 piece poly is that it isn't adjustable either. Odds are you won't be needing adjustable LCA's but if you do I'll link you to a site so you can make your own with Hard rubber bushings instead or rod ends. The last option you have if you can't upgrade the LCA's for your class is to get some moog bushings for your stock LCA's which actually works out very well. I see you also mentioned SFC's. I wouldn't put those on unless you want to be in a very competitive class. Also in most cases if you get a well tuned suspension you will find that you won't even need SFC's. Finally I'll leave you with my recommendations.

Strano Springs, Strano 35/22mm hollow sway bar set, and Koni DA shocks. I have driven a V6 Camaro with that setup and it was just nuts how well it handled. As for LCA's it depends on how much road use your car sees.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:14 PM
10 Second Club

I may be wrong, but isnt he looking for info on SFC's Sub Frame Connectors, not LCA's lower Control Arms?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Doh. Yes he is. What a waste of typing on my part. I guess I should address that then. Any SFC's will work just about as well as any others. The boxed are nice because they can act as jacking rails though. SFC's will bump you up in classes though and I think the 3pt style aren't allowed in anything except the highest classes them (something about it becoming a loophole for ladder frames or some such thing). That said I'd highly recommend doing your shocks, springs and sways first to see if you still need SFC's. Typically if you have a well thought out suspension you wont need the SFC's. The reason so many people run is that they help hide the symptoms of a crappy suspension setup (like the stock setup).

Quick Reply: tubular vs boxed SFCs