Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

what ROTOR SIZE for 18 WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default what ROTOR SIZE for 18 WHEELS

i've got a 2001 Trans AM and i'm putting 18 wheels on it. so what size and WHATS A GOOD ROTOR? would it be an improvement to change over to a C5 set up?

Last edited by ShowstoppaTransAm; 06-05-2007 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add info
Old 06-04-2007, 11:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....91&postcount=5
Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you're racing, I'd suggest solid rotors. Slots will tear through pads quickly and holes will crack. 13"s are probably all you need. You don't want to add too much rotating mass/unsprung weight.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

why would the drilled or slotted be good for racing but not DD?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by ShowstoppaTransAm
why would the drilled or slotted be good for racing but not DD?
It's actually the opposite. Drilled rotors are not a good choice for racing. Drilling is no longer functional because of modern brake pads. Therefore by drilling, you are simply removing mass from the rotor for no good reason. For the street, they look great and work just fine...yeah solid rotors probably work best, but drilled rotors really are not going to be a "problem" until you try to race with them.

So simply decide for yourself if you want the absolute best rotors for your car (plain), or if you want the best looking rotors that still work very well (drilled and/or slotted).
Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

please help
Old 06-07-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Junkie

The stock ls1 brake calipers and rotor size are more than capable of handling the job. C5 brakes might stop a little better, but also add more weight to the car. If you got some brembo blanks and a good pad with good racing fluid, you'd be in good shape. Brembo blanks are pretty cheap, around 60-70 per rotor.
Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 PM
Restricted User

About the LS1 brakes...i've come to the conclusion that it depends on your driving. If you are so level headed that you never are tempted to cross the 100mph barrier, or do it so rarely that you are not concerned about being able to stop from speeds like that, then just put on a good set of LS1 rotors and maybe Hawk HPS pads and be done with it.

At sub 100mph speeds, the LS1 brakes are as good as anything else really. However, I find it hard to believe that any LS1 owner doesn't find themselves in a bit of highway-based-rate-of-acceleration comparison on at least a monthly basis. I found myself in one such situation last fall, an endeavor which ended at about 140mph when I noticed that the glorious lack of traffic was permeated by one little neon, about 1/4 mile ahead, in my lane. He was probably doing about 70mph, i was doing about double that speed, so needless to say he was coming up very fast. I didn't have enough lead on the terminator in the other lane to get over safely, so I went to hit the brakes. Nothing. The LS1 brakes are utterly useless at that speed. My only option was to downshift and that I did. It wasn't until about 90mph that I regained some braking power. I didn't really even get very close to the neon, but it was enough for me to decide that better rotors and pads just weren't going to cut it. Thus i'm doing an all-out conversion. Granted that's just me, I can't live with a deficiency like that in my car. Others could probably dismiss it as not being designed for that sort of use. I can't.

But anyway, that's just one point of view to explain the usefulness of all out brake swaps.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

I agree. My brakes are by no means scary for normal driving. After hot lapping the 1/4 mile for a bit trapping 118 (so figure hit maybe 125 by the time I was on the brakes?), they started to fade very noticeably and actually got to the point where I felt that if I was not downshifting I would've been in some serious trouble.

The C5 brakes will lessen my acceleration slightly, but I can deal with that for the fade-resistance. My only real issue with them is that I can't put real front runners on my car for the track
Old 06-08-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ShowstoppaTransAm
i've got a 2001 Trans AM and i'm putting 18 wheels on it. so what size and WHATS A GOOD ROTOR? would it be an improvement to change over to a C5 set up?
A general rule of thumb is that maximum rotor size is four inches less than your wheel size. So in theory, the biggest rotor diameter you can fit in an 18" wheel is 14". I'm not saying that you need to, or that you even should. It's just a (VERY) general rule of thumb. You still have to take in to account the wheel spoke clearance, inner rim diameter, caliper size, and so on. That having been said, the first thing you should consider is your intended use. Is it strictly a street driver, or do you plan on some autocross or road course action? Are you looking to stop well and consistently, or just look good at a standstill? It all depends.

Quick Reply: what ROTOR SIZE for 18 WHEELS