Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Not shure on rod/bushing ends...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Not shure on rod/bushing ends...

Gonna upgrade my trailing arms and phb soon. I drive pretty agressive on the streets and was wondering if i should get trailing arms and a phb with a rod end or not. Some of you on here have talked about the suspension binding up when cornering hard, etc... I don't exactly know what that means but i know i don't want it to happen to me. The same guys recommend getting rod end parts that eliminate the binding problem. My question is do i need to get these parts with rod ends or can i just get the ones with the poly ends? Any advise would be great.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The rear axle needs to articulate. Poly limits this articulation. The stock LCAs are stamped steel units designed to flex to allow for articulation. A solid tube with poly ends limits this articulation which can lead to unpredictable behavior. This limiting of articulation is what people often refer to as bind. In an extreme/rare situation this bind, can damage the LCA mounts. Rod ends allow for more articulation than the stock pieces and remove the compression/squirm of the stock rubber bushings, but they also transmit more NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness). A good compromise is a poly/rod setup. The body side is poly to help limit some NVH and the axle side is rod to allow for the articulation.

If this is a drag car, you can get away with poly/poly. If you are more interested in handling, go with rod/rod or poly/rod.

I mentioned poly/rod above, but there was a thread a while back about rubber/rod. That is a very rare component. If I remember correctly, it wasn't normal rubber, but something with a higher durometer (close to poly in performance, but will transmit less NVH).

Not all rod ends are created equal. Some rod ends have a Teflon lining to allow to operate more smoothly and last longer. Also, rod ends will eventually loosen up and require replacement. How long varies with the type of rod end and the driving involved.

Last edited by VIP1; 06-09-2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info.